Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: In your opinion, what type of faction is Starsector currently lacking?  (Read 16921 times)

lcarapaica

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I find that many factions (vanilla and modded) are all pitted against the Hegemony, kinda makes you wonder how they have lasted so long with low tech (altho powerful Onslaughts) and many enemies, maybe there should be a logistics/trade faction that acts as support for the Hegemony war effort. So, what type of faction do you think the game is in need of?

XazoTak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: In your opinion, what type of faction is Starsector currently lacking?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »

I think better treatment of nonstandard factions is needed.
Factions that aren't organised have nonsensical treatment: Remnants have reputation for some reason, Independents is just a general identity slapped on things yet has a global reputation system, and bounties are all Pirates (even if they're deserters) meaning you can't do bounties if you want to ally pirates.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »

The issue with Hegemony is that it's simply the most powerful faction. Them having the most enemies is the logical result of politics; the stronger you are, the more people you can annoy. It's a balancing feature as well - they are the strongest and have the most resources, but because of the many hostilities they also have to spend the most resources and strength, that in the end they don't just steamroll everybody they don't like. For the same reason independent planets still exist - they are just insignificant enough that nobody goes out of their way to destroy or take them over.
Aside from that, I'd like to see some other corporation faction. There were others, besides Tri-Tachyon, that have managed to survive the collapse.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 02:22:00 AM »

I think the game would benefit from more fleshing out of the starting factions, and maybe a few more ships.

I know alex has said only if they fill a purpose, but really I still barely feel there's anyone but pirates/hegemony/luddic/tri tach, as "the rest" all sorta blur together into a sea of low/mid tech ships.

I know one thing i often enjoy from what I feel are "vanilla expansion" mods are more low/mid tech frigates/destroyers to round out the ranks and fill in holes in the ship roster.  Especially the idea of elite low/mid tech frigates akin to the tempest/scarab/hyperion.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:44:25 AM »

I don't think it necessarily needs more factions, rather it needs much more differentiation between the factions it already has.
Besides ships, the factions function almost identically to one another at the moment.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 05:59:49 AM »

I don't think it necessarily needs more factions, rather it needs much more differentiation between the factions it already has.
Besides ships, the factions function almost identically to one another at the moment.

Bar and expeditions are already good starts.
It's obvious different faction bars tend to have their own kind of missions.
For instance, tri-tachyon bars are more likely having someone borrow/lend a few dozens k of credit; Hegemony on the other hand is suffering logistic problems and often get merchandise in wrong type, making some easy relationship helping them out swapping things (often with tiny credit lost but ignorable).
Hegemony have their one-of-a-kind AI core expedition and I like it. They seldom send any other thing against me so I'd just pay em every time.
I think in luddic church you're able to donate money something? Haven't play with them much yet since they just ... don't get any special weapon or hull. I'm now trying to friend pathers btw.

<3 Hegemony

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »

Agreed fleshing out of current factions is what's needed.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »

I always like an inscrutable alien race in my space opera, but that seems outside the lore here.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »

The PL needs some more personality. While Hegemony's motto is boring space empire PL should not be taking the same spot. Perhaps like the luddics have each faction in the PL be somewhat independent in faction relations and quirks while they share the same market and economy. That follows the League of many factions theme better perhaps.

As for what is missing... Maybe more pronounced personalities that have fleets and events just like the player. This could make for some more interesting gameplay, events, and faction relation options.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »

I feel like Persean League and Sindrian Diktat are way too similar.

meric

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 05:42:29 AM »

Frontiers who are far from core worlds, eeking out a living, not pirates, but fighting them.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »

I think better treatment of nonstandard factions is needed.
Factions that aren't organised have nonsensical treatment: Remnants have reputation for some reason, Independents is just a general identity slapped on things yet has a global reputation system, and bounties are all Pirates (even if they're deserters) meaning you can't do bounties if you want to ally pirates.

I have to agree.
In regards to independants and pirates attacking them should only make the group you're attacking hostile (bu nearby group may decide to join in against you).
Unless you're constantly killing them, your reputation should slowly repair itself up to a point, as rumors about you are forgotten and it's all "hear-say" and most people wouldn't care or know who you are.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 06:38:32 AM »

I find that many factions (vanilla and modded) are all pitted against the Hegemony, kinda makes you wonder how they have lasted so long with low tech (altho powerful Onslaughts) and many enemies, maybe there should be a logistics/trade faction that acts as support for the Hegemony war effort. So, what type of faction do you think the game is in need of?

That's kinda the problem with mod makers, isn't it?
If everyone and their dog has their super-duper faction be against the biggest guy in the sector, then when you play with many faction mods, the Hegemony gets swarmed.

Nimaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »

A faction working actively to disrupt the established factions, particularly the Hegemony. Instead of simply offering the player a commision, they should offer plentiful missions that will lead the player into incentivized confrontations (read: fun) with factions that the player is often on good terms with (Hegemony and TT in particular).

Such a faction would not even need to have colonized planets and ships of its own. It could simply work in the shadows, hidden among those that they try to disrupt.

Perhaps it could be modded, by having a ship- and planet-less faction that offers missions from the planet-side bars?

Basicly any faction that shakes up the way the game often plays out. Fighting pirates gets _really_ old, when we have been doing it since before there was hyperspace.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »

A faction working actively to disrupt the established factions, particularly the Hegemony. Instead of simply offering the player a commision, they should offer plentiful missions that will lead the player into incentivized confrontations (read: fun) with factions that the player is often on good terms with (Hegemony and TT in particular).

Such a faction would not even need to have colonized planets and ships of its own. It could simply work in the shadows, hidden among those that they try to disrupt.

So... the Luddic Path?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4