Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AI inspection Fleets - Even weak fleets still take your cores?  (Read 9836 times)

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
AI inspection Fleets - Even weak fleets still take your cores?
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:08:53 AM »

So I noticed a AI inspection fleet was headed to my base... but it was 46 days away... intel said the fleet was out matched by my forces, and my ground forces out matched it also...  so I figured no need to wait for it and it would be stopped by my defense...

MFW the fleet takes my cores, 1 alpha and 4 betas.... WTF??? they just walked in without a challange? that solarsystem is a hornets nest of my huge fleets, how did it get in??

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI inspection Fleets - Even weak fleets still take your cores?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:17:51 AM »

You did not order your colony to resist inspection (in intel event details).

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »

Is there a setting somewhere you you can say "always do x" for inspections, or do you have to set it for each one separately?

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 04:09:35 AM »

I had no idea you could "resist" inspection

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:12:30 AM »

Whenever you read a piece of intel, it's a good habit to check on the panel on the right if there's some button.

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »

Whenever you read a piece of intel, it's a good habit to check on the panel on the right if there's some button.

^ This. It's always good to get the actual details on a piece of intel you're interested in, especially if you've never seen it before since it might behave differently than you're expecting (such as in this case, inspections definitely behave differently than expeditions since they're not technically hostile by default).

For inspections, you can resist (which leads to the same combat interaction as an expedition's default option) or bribe/influence them the same way you can expeditions. But the default is to comply with the inspection, resulting as you saw in no combat/resistance and a loss of any AI cores at the colony.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »

exactly, I kept flying out to do missions for surveying a planet or a derelict, then when I get there the mission was gone, turns out you have to accept the mission first now

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »

I too wish the default was not to comply.

Complying with the inspection is literally the one option I've never wanted to do, and I suspect most people are in the same boat.
Being able to set a different default would be very welcome.

For example:
"Give your administrator permission to allocate funds as necessary to resolve future inspections."
or
"Give standing orders to resist future Hegemony inspections by force, if necessary."

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »

TBH, any button in an intel event descriptions should be much more prominent. Like as big as the Colony Info button and ALL CAPS.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »

I too wish the default was not to comply.

Complying with the inspection is literally the one option I've never wanted to do, and I suspect most people are in the same boat.
Being able to set a different default would be very welcome.

For example:
"Give your administrator permission to allocate funds as necessary to resolve future inspections."
or
"Give standing orders to resist future Hegemony inspections by force, if necessary."
No, it's not always the best choice.  Why?  AI Core Inspections are 100% legal, as settled by law at the end of the AI Wars.  Resisting the inspection will lead to immediate hostilities between you and the Hegemony.  Of course, that might not matter if you're already hostile with the Hegemony, but not everyone is.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »

If you use AI cores, then the only thing you ever want to do is bribe the Hegemony.
Credits are effectively infinite.

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »

If you use AI cores, then the only thing you ever want to do is bribe the Hegemony.
Credits are effectively infinite.

That could also change in the future once colonies and colony income get rebalanced. It could be more effective to remove your cores and take the rep hit after complying than pay an ever-increasing bribe.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »

Good points already.  At least whatever response you pick is carried over to subsequent inspections as the new default.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »

That could also change in the future once colonies and colony income get rebalanced. It could be more effective to remove your cores and take the rep hit after complying than pay an ever-increasing bribe.
Well, that also includes getting all of the facilities on that planet disrupted for 60 days.  Not good.

The better option by far is to replace any Beta and Alpha Cores with Gamma Cores, the Hegemony Inspection Fleet won't be the wiser - all they care about is the number of cores they get (typical bureaucracy, really).  However, don't try to remove even a single core before they arrive, they'll know and tear your colony apart same as if you removed all your cores.  You'll take a rep hit equivalent to the number of cores they take, but your facilities won't get disrupted and your more important Cores can be stuck right back in after the Inspection Fleet is finished with their business.

Complying with the inspection isn't a bad choice, really.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:22:29 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »

There can be some issue if default is bribe when player simply does not have the credit to do it.
I'd rather just suggest there an option that gives a pop-out window asking you the action to take exclusively for inspection and other expeditions.
Since I myself read every intel I don't ever need this feature but I'm seeing a lot of people ignoring intel and later get punished for that.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.
Pages: [1] 2