Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How 2 Make Conquests Good  (Read 5188 times)

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How 2 Make Conquests Good
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »

Key flaw in the Conquest as a Battlecruiser is that it's attacks going broadside are belied by a weaker structure poorly covered by it's shield. While other capitals go full frontal in guns, armour and shield,

The Conquest has to split it's fire, so the maximum amount of its firepower it can be built with will not be realised without flipping the ship 180 degrees, which isn't very viable in a slugging match as you expose the ships vulnerable sections in that turn.

The key problem however is that it's flux effeciency is still a Cruiser with the guns of a Capital. Which means it simply can't last an engagement, and it's speed is hampered by the fact that flux drops speed at all.

So

1. Increae the flux cap and dissipation in line with actual battleships
2. Increase impulse speed and base maneuveribility/make the ability jets recharge a lot faster.
3. Allow the main guns to have greater turning radius

Ultimate: Revert to 0.32a Conquest, all 3 Heavy Ballistic slots on each "wing"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:18:01 PM by Botaragno »
Some day the Conquest will be a viable capital..... some day....

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How 2 Make Conquests Good
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

Conquest is already on par with Onslaught if built properly.  It needs lots of capacitors or Hardened Shields to avoid overloading too quickly, but aside from that, Conquest is powerful these days.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

Actually, the Conquest is my favorite Cap ship right now. Excellent campaign level stats, along with an absolutely brutal broadside in combat. I wouldn't give one to the AI, but this thing is a monster in player hands.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »

AI Conquest is reasonably competent too.  At least it has not died on me more than my other capitals.  Odyssey on the other hand, AI loves to spam Plasma Burn like Aurora's Jets, separate from my fleet, and get itself into trouble.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »

Conquest actually gets to both use ballistic weapons (typically better) and have Paragon-grade flux dissipation. Defensively it's not as good as Onslaught or Paragon, but offensively it can stand up to both of them with no sweat.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »

AI Conquest is reasonably competent too.  At least it has not died on me more than my other capitals.  Odyssey on the other hand, AI loves to spam Plasma Burn like Aurora's Jets, separate from my fleet, and get itself into trouble.

Really? Nice. I haven't let the AI pilot one in a long time. I play Ironman and it wasn't a gamble I was willing to take. The AI can usually handle a Paragon or Onslaught with no problems, so those are what I usually give them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »

Also, Onslaught is a partial broadside ship not too dissimilar to Conquest.  If it does not use its Thermal Pulse Cannons, then it needs to point its nose off to the side a bit to aim two heavy ballistics at one target.

@ BillyRueben:  Conquest needs a bit more care in outfitting it well, and it will suffer if it does not have some of the better weapons.  One advantage Onslaught has it you can give it nothing but stuff from Open Market and it will still wreck fleets.  Conquest cannot really do that.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »

Conquest actually gets to both use ballistic weapons (typically better) and have Paragon-grade flux dissipation. Defensively it's not as good as Onslaught or Paragon, but offensively it can stand up to both of them with no sweat.

Conquest can either run 2x Mjolnir or 2x Gauss depending on whether or not you need ultra long range bombardment or raw damage.

Its weak to frigate spam but its otherwise a very strong ship and very good against destroyers and up

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »

Its weak to frigate spam

Nope. Simply throw a couple of Locust missile pods on the front of it and it will delete all of the frigates in seconds.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »

Frigate spam is too much for limited ammo missiles. The conquest is weak to being surrounded by a large number of smaller/faster ships, but if you have a fleet backing you up, its pretty much always avoidable. I think the conquest is the most fun to pilot capital, even if it is not the most absolutely powerful. It definitely stands up in a fight well enough to duel other capitals in a fleet context.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:04 PM »

Yes

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »

Frigate spam is too much for limited ammo missiles.

I might have to find some way to test that. Anything that is too quick or close for my guns to easily target gets destroyed by missile spam. Never had a fleet that had enough frigates to cause a problem.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:15 PM »

Conquest is my favorite ship, for the moment:
Spoiler
[close]
Like he is good on AI hands too. Compared to the odyssey who is pretty just very bad on AI hands.

He do not need a buff, for me.
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 01:09:31 AM »

Its weak to frigate spam

Nope. Simply throw a couple of Locust missile pods on the front of it and it will delete all of the frigates in seconds.

Locusts are pretty good but you don’t always have two to do that. I also tend to play on lower combat sizes so against pirates fielding 4 DP destroyers and 8 DP cruisers it’s very easy to get overwhelmed when they outnumber you 3 to 2 in deployment points.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:30 AM »

Why bother with limited Locusts? IPDAI IR Pulse give Conquest PD-efficiency comparable to Onslaught, while also being very strong frigate deterrent. Against reasonable number of frigates, I mean.
Pages: [1] 2