Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How 2 Make Conquests Good  (Read 5224 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How 2 Make Conquests Good
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 05:21:05 AM »

Because Locusts are good anti-everything finisher.  Also very reliable and has lots of ammo compared to other launchers, especially if you vent to control number of missiles launched.  It even costs less OP than other heavy launchers (if its OP cost did not change since 0.8 ).  Once a big ship loses armor, it takes a ton of damage from a Locust burst.  Frigates die outright to one burst from two Locusts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:43:25 AM by Megas »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 06:21:38 AM »

Because Locusts are good anti-everything finisher.  Also very reliable and has lots of ammo compared to other launchers, especially if you vent to control number of missiles launched.  It even costs less OP than other heavy launchers (if its OP cost did not change since 0.8 ).  Once a big ship loses armor, it takes a ton of damage from a Locust burst.  Frigates die outright to one burst from two Locusts.

Yep, nerf Locusts.
They're far too powerful for how flexible they are.

Though it's not a nerf I'd do in isolation, there are a number of assault-type missiles that need looking at too; Sabots, Harpoons, and all the torpedo-armed bombers.

Bear in mind my perspective is based upon battlesize of 500.
Missile & bomber balance is less of an issue in smaller engagement sizes.

As increasing PD range isn't possible (as it'd require increasing the range of all other direct-fire weapons), I'd suggest reducing velocities of these assault-type missiles by ~25-33%.

It'd increase the effectiveness of both PD & basic manoeuvrability, without impacting much else.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »

Though it's not a nerf I'd do in isolation, there are a number of assault-type missiles that need looking at too; Sabots, Harpoons, and all the torpedo-armed bombers.

The only HE missiles I use are Annihilators and Reapers.
Surely puny Harpoons don't need any extra nerfs. They already need to be spammed by missile spec officer to become somewhat of a threat (that you can still play around by reserving about half flux). Forcing you to reserve flux has value, but enemy paid enough OP for that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »

If Locusts need a nerf, I probably would raise OP cost to match MIRV or something like that.  Honestly, I think Locusts are a good example what a missile weapon should do and the rest of the missiles (except maybe Sabot Pod) be raised to its level.  Locusts are one of the few missile weapons I like to use.  Most of the rest of the missiles look like a steaming pile of garbage, mostly because they do not have enough ammo for what they do.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »

My conquest loadout of HVDs + Hellbores consistently puts up the most damage and kills in combat in "steady" NPC hands; Way more than a paragon or legion used by the same character.  Also this is from my analytics mod, so it's not just me guessing how it's performing.

In general I'm pretty surprised how well the conquest uses broad side mechanics to deliver fire and it's harder for NPC officers to screw up and get flanked in a ship covered with guns in all directions.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 12:09:02 PM »

Why bother with limited Locusts? IPDAI IR Pulse give Conquest PD-efficiency comparable to Onslaught, while also being very strong frigate deterrent. Against reasonable number of frigates, I mean.

I tend IR pulse is eh.

My preferred loadout is 2x mjolnir or 2x gauss plus 1 flack and one Mauler or two flack. The other side gets HMG and a Haephestus or two. I used to use MIRV in the front slots with ECCM and EMR but the change to MIRVs has made them less valuable at longer range and against smaller ships so I prefer swarmers now. Harpoons in the med slots.

You use the harpoons to kill small ships that you overloaded by drifted away or are out of swarmer range. The HMG protect your backside pretty well and crew up the shields of the frigates that can get behind you while the Haephestus kills it(toggle it off until they’re close)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »

I always put devastators on my non majoinr/gauss side with a conquest. They shred fighters and frigates for relatively low flux cost. Locusts are nice all around, or squalls to help against stations/other capitals. I leave the medium missiles empty though. I would rather have 20 extra OP because the ship really needs caps and hardened shields to be effective which is a big OP tax
Pages: 1 [2]