Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: art suggestion: there should be portraits of dumb looking people.  (Read 2515 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The portraits are good.  They all look like cool, tough people who are nobody's fool.

However, in all times and places, the world is full of idiots. For diversity's sake, it might be nice to have a few portraits in the next version that look stupid, complacent, bloated, or feckless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: art suggestion: there should be portraits of dumb looking people.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »

There are already few such portraits in the game.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »

I already looked, they're all normal and self possessed looking. I didn't find any like the attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »

The new black guy with the cigarette in his mouth looks stupid (it appears to be a shout-out portrait).  Another new portrait is a messed up purple or maroon Borg... zombie... thing.  Then there is that blue haired woman from 0.8 that looks like a clown without the red nose.  One of the pirate helmet guys from 0.8 has that cracked yellow visor; that is another silly guy that is hard to take seriously.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »

For diversity's sake...
Why though? Just to check another box on the "is this subgroup included" list? To many games and movies and shows already do this it many times it just lowers quality and "dilutes" the characters so to speak.
Also, I would think good ol' Darwin would be getting REALLY involved with the Sector and killing off alot of these idiots.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »

The portraits are good.  They all look like cool, tough people who are nobody's fool.

However, in all times and places, the world is full of idiots. For diversity's sake, it might be nice to have a few portraits in the next version that look stupid, complacent, bloated, or feckless.

Maybe you should add in a picture of yourself then /burn  ;D

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 01:00:29 AM »

For diversity's sake...
Why though? Just to check another box on the "is this subgroup included" list? To many games and movies and shows already do this it many times it just lowers quality and "dilutes" the characters so to speak.
Also, I would think good ol' Darwin would be getting REALLY involved with the Sector and killing off alot of these idiots.

Is 4chan leaking today? Relax, it's just a turn of phrase. I suggested it because, as we can see, there are always tonnes of idiots regardless of how dog-eat-dog the world gets, possibly a majority or near-majority. And everyone in the portraits looks cool.

The new black guy with the cigarette in his mouth looks stupid.

That guy in the Russian tanker helmet smoking a cigarette is like the coolest.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »

You're only seeing captains and high ranking officials. I guess the dumb looking people are busy scrubbing the reactor shielding.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »

Is 4chan leaking today? Relax, it's just a turn of phrase. I suggested it because, as we can see, there are always tonnes of idiots regardless of how dog-eat-dog the world gets, possibly a majority or near-majority. And everyone in the portraits looks cool.
Considering how diversity is used in the West, I'm not surprised by the overreaction...
I hope Bert and Ernie make it into the game, too.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »

Considering how diversity is used in the West, I'm not surprised by the overreaction...
I hope Bert and Ernie make it into the game, too.

Haha, with the portrait as the two of them together. in a mudskipper with 6 d-mods

Edit: the Bert and Ernie portraita would be good in the game. What i mean by diversity (and any objections to that word are offtopic gamergate-level nonsense) is that there's various ages, genders, colours, and professions in the portraits, which makes them more interesting than if they were all the same. However, despite this, everyone in the game now sort of falls within the 1-sigma of facial normalcy, and everyone's pretty much in the 80th percentile of good lookingness for their respective age bracket/nutrition level/access to beauty products/etc. In a sector so ridden by strife, you'd expect a few more distinct looking characters or expressions of foolishness. (Hate to break it to you, but pretty sub par mental specimens frequently make it to the captain chair, in case you haven't noticed). If you've ever been to a developing country you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see more portraits that go in this direction and it seems like the kind of project that might amuse the artist.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:10:18 AM by nomadic_leader »