Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: spaceport feedback  (Read 6727 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
spaceport feedback
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »

does it kind of bug anybody else how spaceports are absolutely necessary? I'm trying to build a faction empire with one super-metropolis of manufacturing & military might, fed by a string of non-spacefaring low-tech colonies who feed the capital raw resources & are otherwise entirely self-sufficient (either farming their own food, or techmining ship supplies from ruins and using an AI-assisted administrator to run the colony's infrastructure to run entirely on naval supplies instead of food and domestic goods)

but as far as I can tell no matter what I do unless I build a spaceport on every colony all of my colonies might as well not exist and just endlessly build up a stockpile of goods that won't ever be moved
It feels like, if a colony has no accessibility bc of no space port my faction's High Command should field a military mercantile expedition to empty out its stockpile once a month
Otherwise, why require a player to build a spaceport if it might as well just be built by default when founding a colony?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

code99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: spaceport feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »

I havent played much with colonies yet so please forgive my ignorance but whats the problem with spaceports again?

Dread Pirate Robots

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »

...how are the low tech colonies supposed to feed the capital raw resources if they don't have a spaceport?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:06:56 AM »

...how are the low tech colonies supposed to feed the capital raw resources if they don't have a spaceport?

well if i can land why cant my high command send a fleet to land? I get why the colony cant semd fleets out, but it could still recieve fleets
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:24:37 AM »

does it kind of bug anybody else how spaceports are absolutely necessary?

Conceptually? Not at all. It's how planets interact with your fleet and the rest of the universe in a space game. How would they trade or defend themselves without the ability to get goods or ships into space? They could never contribute anything to your fleet or empire.

I get why the colony cant semd fleets out, but it could still recieve fleets

Can cities receive aircraft safely on the scale needed for industry without an airport? Are ships going to land in the streets without being a danger, and without the facilities needed to support and refuel them? Dragging fuel icons from a shop menu into your inventory is an abstraction--in the real world that would represent a support infrastructure.

Otherwise, why require a player to build a spaceport if it might as well just be built by default when founding a colony?

That's a fair point, but a spaceport is trivial to build. It probably just a minor speedbump to keep you from having a fully functional colony overnight.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:24:39 AM »

well if i can land why cant my high command send a fleet to land? I get why the colony cant semd fleets out, but it could still recieve fleets
You can land, but you cannot repair your ships without a spaceport.  That is a big deal.

At first, I wanted a colony without spaceport just to have a low-profile base.  That did not work well.  I needed spaceport and waystation (to stockpile crew, fuel, and supplies).  However, depending on planet and who runs it, I have unavoidable positive growth, and I need to remove spaceport occasionally to prevent size growth (then rebuild the port after population reaches zero again).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:32:17 AM »

]

Can cities receive aircraft safely on the scale needed for industry without an airport?

have you seen lord of war? close a stretch of highway and boom, airstrip.
of course, not enough of one to support industrial use by civilians, but thats not what im looking -- i just my hugh command to send an expedition w an atlas every now and then to artificially open up its accessibility while in orbit once a month -- essentially doing an airlift w military pilots

Reinhark

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 07:09:07 AM »

]

Can cities receive aircraft safely on the scale needed for industry without an airport?

of course, not enough of one to support industrial use by civilians, but thats not what im looking -- i just my hugh command to send an expedition w an atlas every now and then to artificially open up its accessibility while in orbit once a month -- essentially doing an airlift w military pilots

Easier solution. Giant explosion to clear ground. Land on crater.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »

Yes, you're describing the creation of an *airport*..albeit a shoddy one. Even a makeshift spaceport would still be a spaceport--a place for craft to safely land and be attended to.  If you want many craft to come in daily on the scale necessary for mass industry, youre going to need support infrastructure, to safely direct traffic, move freight, service the craft, etc.

On the speculative side, a spaceport in this universe probably requires both a ground and an orbital component.  Larger ships cant land in an atmosphere with gravity or they'd break apart under their own weight.  So they'd be forced to shuttle down cargo bit by bit, or drop them for orbit, neither of which seem safe or efficient as an ongoing proposition.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:50:25 AM by StarGibbon »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »

I asked a similar question elsewhere, and the answer that came up: there is, in fact, one very good reason to not build a spaceport: if the colony is just there to tech-mine some ruins and you don't want any chance of it growing above size three, so you can disband it again when the ruins are more or less mined out.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

Yes, you're describing the creation of an *airport*..albeit a shoddy one. Even a makeshift spaceport would still be a spaceport--a place for craft to safely land and be attended to.  If you want many craft to come in daily on the scale necessary for mass industry, youre going to need support infrastructure, to safely direct traffic, move freight, service the craft, etc.
This is the biggest reason. You are most likely sending a few shuttles at max. That versus a full on starport is totally different.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »

We're unlikely to change how starports and the trade fleet manager work just so someone can roleplay a setting where village-esque communities so undeveloped they don't even have a spaceport are somehow expected to supply the metropole with a non-insignificant amount of commodities.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »

We're unlikely to change how starports and the trade fleet manager work just so someone can roleplay a setting where village-esque communities so undeveloped they don't even have a spaceport are somehow expected to supply the metropole with a non-insignificant amount of commodities.

You can already do this anyway:

1) Play Starsector up until the point you found a new colony.

2) Quit the game.

3) Install and play Rimworld.

Easy peasy!

Reinhark

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

You can already do this anyway:

1) Play Starsector up until the point you found a new colony.

2) Quit the game.

3) Install and play Rimworld.

Easy peasy!
This reminds me of time when I exported significant amount of meat, clothing and chemfuel from recycled natives. I hope this feature is added on decivilized colony world.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 04:21:06 AM »

Rimworld <-> Starsector mod bridge when? :)
Pages: [1] 2