Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who let the Pathers ally with the Church?  (Read 2217 times)

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Who let the Pathers ally with the Church?
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

The ingame description of the Pathers explicitly states:
"They view the church as compromised and corrupt, putting worldly ego and comforts before the True Luddic Path in these End Times."

But then they're "Known Allies" from the get go with the regular Luddic Church?

Is Alex really going to keep this forward? This essentially means the Pathers are never not going to be a problem without genociding the Church to oblivion, not to mention how Pathers have a permanent supply fallback with the Church.
Some day the Conquest will be a viable capital..... some day....

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
Re: Who let the Pathers ally with the Church?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:12 PM »

I would imagine it's quite a bit like the way extremist groups draw support from larger mainstream organizations in real life? While the official stance of the Path is that the Church is corrupt and the official stance of the Church is that the path are extremists, no small number of the Church's people secretly (or not-so-secretly) sympathize with the Path, to varying degrees ranging from simply not being willing to publicly denounce them ("well, maybe we should hear what the path has to say") to actually providing material support.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »

it'd be way easier to just reply w "fiction imitates reality lol" but fortunately for us we don't live in a world where a billionaire who made his fortune from fraud won an election to the most powerful military position in the world while claiming he was anti-corruption.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:34:03 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »

It makes sense though doesn't it? Pathers may view the Church as corrupt but they have no reason to commit Terrorism against the Church so long as other factions exist. And there's no doubt an undercurrent of sympathy and support for the Path behind the scenes on Luddic worlds.

The Zagan mission also shows that the Path will work together with the Church when it comes to expanding Luddism in general.

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:30:40 PM »

Officially, they're not the same entity. Unofficially, however...

I also bet that the pathers are willing to let their problems with the church slide depending on how desperate they are.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 03:14:17 AM »

it'd be way easier to just reply w "fiction imitates reality lol" but fortunately for us we don't live in a world where a billionaire who made his fortune from fraud won an election to the most powerful military position in the world while claiming he was anti-corruption.

I'll have an eye on this thread, please keep real world politics/religion out of the discussion. That goes for everyone, of course.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:03:25 AM »

Code: java
path.setRelationship(church.getId(), RepLevel.COOPERATIVE);
3:1 odds this is just Alex's hack to make Path not spawn cells on Luddic Church planets.

(The old "faction monogamy" event in the version just before we got commissions used cooperative status to determine if faction A should not get jealous of player becoming friendly with faction B)