Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a RC10] FPS drop in battle and main menu  (Read 5507 times)

shuul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9a RC10] FPS drop in battle and main menu
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »

There are times when game slows down increadibly , FPS drops to 5-7 FPS.
This can happen:
- immediately on game launch, may require random number of restarts to fix
- in battle, but it never happens if FPS was fine in menu on game start

FPS in campaign is totally fine.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] FPS drop in battle and main menu
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »

Hmm - this sounds like the OS deciding to run the game using, say, an integrated graphics card on the motherboard instead of a dedicated one. I think it's possible to force the game to be run using the right card using the NVIDIA control panel or whatever equivalent, depending on your graphics card.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:40:47 AM »

got this issue

seems like my gpu is the only one listed yet the issue still happends
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:50:22 AM by Mealstrom »

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »

Seems to be working now. gonna see how long that lasts lol

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:11:21 PM »

okay so the issue persists and it looks like its not the gpu the problem but the game. I checked and it doesnt actually switch to any integrated gpu yet it manages to make my 970 wanna die...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »

This is with mods, correct? Try turning GraphicsLib off through its settings file to see if that helps.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:37:51 PM »

Mealstrom, don't you run with a huge number of mods? You might be running out of vram, would be interesting to check how much is being used.

Also, mod list would prove useful info.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »

nah I got enough vram... seems like the game has an incompatibility with chrome since I did more testing and just having chrome opened before launch *** up the game. Just having google open while loading does it yet if i launch it later theres no issues. I havent had this issue with earlier versions of the game and I have way more mods lol

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:31 PM »

Weird! I've got Chrome running literally all the time, hmm.

It might help for posterity if you could describe exactly the issue you are/were running into; as it is I'm not certain if it's exactly what was described in the OP :)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »

nah I got enough vram... seems like the game has an incompatibility with chrome since I did more testing and just having chrome opened before launch *** up the game. Just having google open while loading does it yet if i launch it later theres no issues. I havent had this issue with earlier versions of the game and I have way more mods lol

Ignoring the Chrome line of thought here*

Just to be clear here Mealstrom with *all the mods* it can require 3gb of vram for SS alone... With a 4gb vram card, *all the mods* and running Windows + other programs it is in fact possible to use up your card. Also just now I recalled you do things greatly extending the range of weapons resulting in many more projectiles being in play at a time which is also doing no favors for your game's performance.

Anyways a good sanity check here would in fact be seeing how much vram you are using while playing SS and whatever other programs you would typically also be running.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »

Ignoring the Chrome line of thought here*

Just to be clear here Mealstrom with *all the mods* it can require 3gb of vram for SS alone... With a 4gb vram card, *all the mods* and running Windows + other programs it is in fact possible to use up your card. Also just now I recalled you do things greatly extending the range of weapons resulting in many more projectiles being in play at a time which is also doing no favors for your game's performance.

Anyways a good sanity check here would in fact be seeing how much vram you are using while playing SS and whatever other programs you would typically also be running.
Actually, I can see why Chrome being open is possible issue: It sounds like you might be running low or out of RAM or VRAM (Chrome IS a RAM hog after all, especically if you haven't closed it in awhile or have tons of tabs open) and THAT is what is hurting your FPS levels.
And yes, a mod list would GREATLY help us help you. Without it, it is much harder to help you.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Shavarath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 12:31:29 AM »

Mods: https://imgur.com/8Pm1DZd

Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/JjSgSYDY

Same issue here.

The FPS drops only happen in fullscreen, not in windowed mode, windowed mode is fine!

EDIT: seems to happen in windowed mode aswell on 1920x1080 resolution -_______-