Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any way to improve performance (fps)?  (Read 18441 times)

code99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Any way to improve performance (fps)?
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:12:45 AM »

Long story short, I have a mediocre pc at work and there are times when I can play some games there.

I have no problems with performance at home but I've got a decent gaming rig. However, even tho I have a dedicated gpu at work coupled with an i3, I cant get more than 30fps in combat.
The thing is, doesnt feel like lag or anything, its locked at 30fps, doesnt go up and doesnt go down at all which is weird, i'd expect it to fluctuate from time to time. Outside combat i have 60fps constant.

Any ways to improve perfomance or something? Editing some files maybe since there are no graphics options in-game?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to improve performance (fps)?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »

Go to Starsector\Starsector-core\data\config\settings.json and change

"vsync":true,
to
   "vsync":false,

This should kill the 30 fps lock and give you more. You may or may not notice tearing. When I run windowed, I get no tearing either way.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »

Sorry I don't know a solution for that but I've experienced a similar thing in the latest version. When there's lots of ships and fighters on screen (actually not even that many since I play on lowest battlesize, my pc is poo poo), the framerate locks itself at 30 and as you said doesn't change that much. Then when I clear out a couple of ships it goes back up to 60 instantly. This also happens when I'm in a system with too many asteroids and other objects, although this happened only twice during my whole playthrough.

This one is actually pretty old but I didn't report it since it's so minor. When I'm in main menu and click ''load game'', the game stutters for a milisecond and then FPS won't go above 30, even tho it says 80-90% idle. I press ''go back'' and then it's 60 again and won't drop anymore.
Please don't take me too seriously.

code99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 05:05:25 AM »

Go to Starsector\Starsector-core\data\config\settings.json and change

"vsync":true,
to
   "vsync":false,

This should kill the 30 fps lock and give you more. You may or may not notice tearing. When I run windowed, I get no tearing either way.

Oh yeah, MUCH better, thank you!

Im not hitting 60 (well, not all the time) but its way better than being locked at 30.

Reinhark

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »

Odds are pretty good that you are using GraphicsLib.

Try turning off "Shader Lib" in the starsector/mods/graphicslib/GRAPHICS-OPTIONS.ini.