Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Overlapping debris fields should coalesce  (Read 1560 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Overlapping debris fields should coalesce
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »

When multiple battles occur on the same spot, it can become really hard (and depending upon positioning, sometimes impossible!) to:

a) keep track of which debris fields have been fully scavenged
b) get into the right position to salvage said fields.

If debris fields (and their potential salvage) automatically coalesced when they overlapped, the problem would go away.
It'd also make the map neater, and reduce the number of world entities in some of the crazier never ending conflict zones.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I've suggested this before.... /me does forum search.

Wow! 18 months between posts, and the title is identical  :D :D :D

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11967.0

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:03:05 PM by TJJ »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Overlapping debris fields should coalesce
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »

Yep, +1. This and scavenge as continuous action would be nice.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »

It would also be nice if you can get everything with one Salvage, instead of several.  Occasionally, after I loot a research station or the like, I occasionally get blueprints or other rare items on the fifth, sixth, or seventh salvage.  I now spam Salvage until I literally get nothing now.

Salvaging debris should give all the loot then the field vanishes like cargo pods or weapon caches.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »

Too much scavenging thread in General Discussion.

"You initiate by moving into a debris field and stopping. A 3 second rolling scavenge starts. Results from first scavenge appears on the left as a notification. You remain stationary. Another scavenge starts and displays a notification. When it becomes too risky, you start moving and it stops."

Much fewer key presses, windows and everything.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:54:16 AM »

I think I'd prefer action-to-salvage (so you can still hide in the fields without filling your holds up) and entire field is salvaged in one go.

I'd love coalescing fields if they touch, and I also think bigger fields should take LONGER to salvage, with you sitting there watching a bar on the main map.

If you move before it finishes or an enemy fleet contacts you or some other interruption, then the cargo screen immediately pops up with a partial result much like we have now, so you can choose to dump the metals in pods and run, or whatever.

The field should then be reduced in size appropriately, so you could come back if you're interrupted - but if you let it finish, the field is removed as you have scavenged everything of value.