Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star generation questions  (Read 2158 times)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Star generation questions
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:01:36 PM »

Has anyone figured out the star_gen_data.csv?

I am trying to figure which value to modify to make planets more likely, and habitable ones a bit more common.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star generation questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

Hey!

probOrbits is the probability of any objects in orbit around the star at all. Or, another way, 1 - probOrbits is the probability they system will be completely empty.

minOrbits/maxOrbits is the minimum/maximum number of things in orbit around the star. This includes accretion disks, rings, asteroid belts, and planets. And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Note that for example a nebula/asteroid field at a Lagrange point, or moons, do not count against this limit.

habZoneStart is where the habitable zone around this star is. This is what habOffsetMin/habOffsetMax in planet_gen_data.csv is relative to.

As far as making habitable planets more common, that could get a bit tricky, since the modifiers for planet probability by star are in columns in planet_gen_data.csv. I don't 100% remember if it's possible for mods to add new columns - thinking about it, it may not be - so then the only way to do that would be going through all PlanetGenDataSpec in code and adding to their "multipliers" map, which is keyed off the columns in planet_gen_data.csv, but can be added to.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star generation questions
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »

Thank you so much
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone