Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ever dreamed of game mechanics that don't exist?  (Read 806 times)

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ever dreamed of game mechanics that don't exist?
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »

Generally, if I play a lot of a game and get obsessed with it, I'll usually have dreams about that game. Starsector is no different. However, an oddity is that several times now I've dreamed of a game mechanic that doesn't actually exist: customizing stations to provide different benefits.

The way it worked in my dreams is that each station has a number of slots that can have facilities installed, and in turn these facilities provided buffs to fleets based out of that station. My dream wasn't real specific on numbers of slots or how far these buffs extended, but I do remember that the facilities were things like a bar that increased officer growth(exp buffs? higher officer level caps?), a facility that increased salvaging ability that was mutually exclusive with another facility that increasing surveying ability, a medbay that increased officer recovery(?? officers getting hurt isn't even in the game), and others that were never focused on enough to know what they are.

A crazy thread for a crazy dream, I suppose, but maybe Alex might find the station idea intriguing enough to explore even if it's just on paper.

XazoTak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ever dreamed of game mechanics that don't exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »

It'd make offence more interesting, because there'd be a localised aspect to fleet doctrine.
The player might unexpectedly encounter a fleet full of high-ranking officers, or a fleet with unusually high-quality ships.