Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: mining lasers are useless  (Read 2467 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
mining lasers are useless
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »

threw 4 mining lasers onto my falcon bc my new loadout doesn't require small guns, and noticed just not that all four, in optimal circumstances (with targeting core range boost), are collectively incapable of stopping a single salamander.
Which is fine, there's already too many small energy PD lasers that are useful, but, if 8 OP's worth of mining lasers cant stop a single salamander then maybe they should be like the mining drones and cost 0 (or one) OP?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: mining lasers are useless
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 03:56:01 AM »

I like the idea of mining lasers dealing extra damage to and automatically targeting asteroids and fighter wrecks, because those often get in the way of missiles and such. I doubt there's a way to make them worthwhile as PD when regular laser PD is so cheap to begin with, so maybe something different might be a better way of making them stand out.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 04:06:38 AM »

I like the idea of mining lasers dealing extra damage to and automatically targeting asteroids and fighter wrecks, because those often get in the way of missiles and such. I doubt there's a way to make them worthwhile as PD when regular laser PD is so cheap to begin with, so maybe something different might be a better way of making them stand out.

ohH KINETIC BEAM APplies force to its targets; if mining lasers did the same thing and targeted neutral objects they would push them away & clear the area out so your ship's killing fields weren't cluttered o: that'd be really good and cool
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 04:23:36 AM »

Reducing them to one OP might be too much of a buff. They are in an odd place of being better than nothing but worse than anything else. If they gave their targets a tiny push while shooting them they would be somewhat better.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 05:12:04 AM »

You get what you pay for.  That said, they need to turn faster.  Mining lasers track about as slow as tactical lasers.  If mining lasers are the only energy blueprints you have, then you really need to buff them with various hullmods (namely Advanced Turret Gyros and IPDAI), which you may not have.

For worth it is worth, I do not use them.  They are too underpowered, and I eventually loot enough better lasers after enough fighting, if nothing else.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »

you really need to buff them with various hullmods (namely Advanced Turret Gyros and IPDAI)

I ran the words "use hullmods to improve mining lasers instead of just replacing them" across my brain and woke up 3 days later from a near-fatal stroke, plz lets be safety-conscious here folx

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 07:04:40 AM »

The point was if you only have mining laser available (I think it is one of the stock weapons you can produce without a blueprint), and you do not have enough of the other PD lasers, then the only way to make them useful is to use hullmods to buff them.  Gyros may be common enough, but IPDAI is rare enough to be a problem.  Barring lucky early find, you probably have found enough of the other lasers to use (and you can use Reinforced Bulkheads on your ships to guarantee recovery) before player gets IPDAI (although there is Advanced Countermeasures 3, too).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »

The point was if you only have mining laser available (I think it is one of the stock weapons you can produce without a blueprint)

Then you should not be using high-tech ships at all. Low-tech with basic weapons vs High-tech with Mining lasers will end with overwhelming victory of low-tech.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »

Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »

But these are not ship-born mining lasers (which have to compete with real weapons), but Shepherd mining drones (built-in feature of Shepherd).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:09 AM »

@ TaLaR:  I know that.  Of course, I did not use high-tech other than the starter Wolf because everything uses mostly low-tech and midline early on.  There were no good high-tech ships for me to recover or build at first.  Even after I got the high-tech pack and Odyssey blueprints, I did not need the Wolf anymore, and the rest were obsolete.  I tried Odyssey, but it is overshadowed by the capital clunkers I recovered from previous fights.