Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The fastest carrier  (Read 8889 times)

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The fastest carrier
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:33 AM »

Is it just me, or is Gemini-class Freighter the fastest carrier in the game? It's base speed is higher than both Condor and Venture and upgraded it's significantly faster than Venture since engines work better on destroyers than on cruisers.

For the same 9 FP Gemini was way better PD (2 x single flak) than Condor (2 x single machine gun) and can mount a pilum legit. Standard Cordor has a pilum but it's bugged and mounted on a small missile mount. They have same hanger size, Gemini have better shield and vent while Condor has better hull, and of course Gemini holds more cargo and is more fuel efficient.

Could it be that the best carrier in this game is actually a freighter?

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: The fastest carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:56 AM »

sounds right to me although from personal experience the gemini is nothing in a fight, condors seem to be able to manage themselves enough to stay out of trouble the gemini likes to fly up the throat of cruisers or large dangerous ships. the better AI ( or just tougher carriers) means you don't have to rally your carriers and they can actually HELP in a fight this is especially true once your into cruisers or larger carriers
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »

You know what is weird? I've never seen a freighter for sale...

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »

Just bad luck there--I've seen both Geminis and the capital ship superfreighter whose name I forget for sale.

I agree with Doom101, though...the freighter AI seems to be tuned too far the wrong side of "suicidal" for it to make sense to use one as a carrier. Especially when speed really isn't important for a carrier at all--so long as it can get within reasonable range of the battle by the time a fighter wing wants to repair and refit, you're golden!

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »

Just bad luck there--I've seen both Geminis and the capital ship superfreighter whose name I forget for sale.

I agree with Doom101, though...the freighter AI seems to be tuned too far the wrong side of "suicidal" for it to make sense to use one as a carrier. Especially when speed really isn't important for a carrier at all--so long as it can get within reasonable range of the battle by the time a fighter wing wants to repair and refit, you're golden!

Geminis are sometimes in Independent fleets as well they won't be as bad once cargo and fuel actually becomes important i imagine. regardless just use a condor or an astral.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »

Especially when speed really isn't important for a carrier at all--
Combat speed doesn't, travel speed does. I can't recall if there's any ships with flight deck that has travel speed of more than 120 so can somebody give it a check?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »

Combat speed doesn't, travel speed does. I can't recall if there's any ships with flight deck that has travel speed of more than 120 so can somebody give it a check?
Isin't that the gemini? There's only the Astral, the Venture and the Condor left that, IIRC has flight decks.
Unless you count mods in aswell

Trigerhappi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

The Odyssey has a travel speed of 122 and combat speed of 45 with one flight deck.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »

IMHO the Odyssey is the best "carrier" though I wish I could designate it as a cruiser so it didn't go to the rally carrier points.

Trigerhappi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

IMHO the Odyssey is the best "carrier" though I wish I could designate it as a cruiser so it didn't go to the rally carrier points.
Throw on some Tachyon Lances and you will be glad it is in the back.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »

Throw on some Tachyon Lances and you will be glad it is in the back.
Haha, yeah.

You can alternately set up the rest of your carriers with fire support stuff (like pilums), then they'll rally with them and you can forgo the carrier point altogether.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

See, I'm not a pick fan of the lances. Sure they are great and all, but I prefer getting up close and personal..  :)

Harabeck

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »

See, I'm not a pick fan of the lances. Sure they are great and all, but I prefer getting up close and personal..  :)

That's the problem I have with them. I use so many attack frigates and destroyers that even if I have ships with Tachyon Lances, they never use them because there are always other ships in the way. I end using ships with tons of pilums and hurrican mirvs instead.

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »

Yep, mounted a Tach Lance on my carrier... didn't go so well... thank guys  :P
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »

That's the problem I have with them. I use so many attack frigates and destroyers that even if I have ships with Tachyon Lances, they never use them because there are always other ships in the way. I end using ships with tons of pilums and hurrican mirvs instead.

I love those missiles... Hurricane MIRVs are absolutely epic!
Pages: [1] 2