Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stop quicksave/loads  (Read 3517 times)

Todriam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Stop quicksave/loads
« on: November 24, 2018, 08:08:41 PM »

Would really like a way to stop a quick save or a quick load in middle of said action.  Mainly because I've lost track of how many times I'll think "I need to save, time to hit f5."  Only for my head to go for f9 instead and lose random amounts of time.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Stop quicksave/loads
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »

If you play ironman, quick load goes away. :)

On a more serious note, I know of no other game that has such a functionality (stop loading mid-load).  I'm pretty sure one of Alex's goals for the game is make save/loading as quick as possible, so this probably won't get implemented.

My only useful suggestion is get into the habit of using the Esc key and then pick the save option to slow yourself down.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »

I dont think that is what he asked.

It looks more like he wants a confirmation dialog for quickload.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Todriam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »

A confirmation would be nice.  or just something you can disable/enable from the option menu. Anything would be nice against this mental glitch.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »

But those dialog confirmations already exist via the Esc key save menu.

The entire point of a quick save/load is to make it a one button operation. 

Under settings you can remap the quick save/load buttons either to something you don't confuse (say tilde on the left side of the keyboard and keypad minus on the right) or simply remove any key bindings for them, to force yourself to go through the escape menu, which either has a confirmation to make a new save, or forces you to pick a game to load, both of which will force you to think for a second and hopefully prevent any unintended loading.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »

I got a feeling after messing up a couple more times, your muscle memory will improve.

Todriam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »

... it has nothing to do with muscle memory. It is not something I am confusing. It is literally something where my brain thinks one thing and does something completely different. Kindly stop posting your ignorance.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »

... it has nothing to do with muscle memory. It is not something I am confusing. It is literally something where my brain thinks one thing and does something completely different. Kindly stop posting your ignorance.

Then what do you call thinking about something but actually doing a different thing if not confusion? Don't see how others are ignorant when they're just proposing sane solutions. What you actually want is like suggesting a feature where you accidentally fired a weapon and now you want to reverse time. Just learn what key does what man, it's not hard.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Todriam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »

Then what do you call thinking about something but actually doing a different thing if not confusion? Don't see how others are ignorant when they're just proposing sane solutions. What you actually want is like suggesting a feature where you accidentally fired a weapon and now you want to reverse time. Just learn what key does what man, it's not hard.

I know what they keys do. That has nothing to do with anything. This is literally a glitch on how my brain works that causing me do that exact opposite of what I want to do. This is why you all are completely ignorant. And no, I am not asking for a solution to reverse time. I am asking to be able to hit the esc key in middle of a quickload/save to stop it.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »

I know what they keys do. That has nothing to do with anything. This is literally a glitch on how my brain works that causing me do that exact opposite of what I want to do. This is why you all are completely ignorant. And no, I am not asking for a solution to reverse time. I am asking to be able to hit the esc key in middle of a quickload/save to stop it.

Stopping a save mid-operation will corrupt it, making it unloadable, requiring you to manually go to a file backup.  Or potentially stop it mid-backup if it makes copies a file, leaving you without a backup in the case of save corruption (i.e. if you do it again and catch it in the file writing portion).

Save/Load tends to be an "atomic" function that doesn't want to be interrupted.  Making it handle interrupts gracefully is going to be a lot of effort for very little gain I'm afraid.  In addition its almost guaranteed to slow down the save/load functions themselves.  I'm pretty sure if he could code it somehow, he'd have saves/loads happen instantaneously.  So this suggestion is almost certainly counter to one of Alex's goals (code speed optimization).

I'm sorry to say you'll probably need to come up with another way of avoiding this situation of where you want to hit quick save and instead hit quick load.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 12:17:27 PM »

I wonder how hard it would be to have rotating saves in SS?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »

I wonder how hard it would be to have rotating saves in SS?

Exactly what I was about to suggest, and trivial.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »

I suppose rotating saves are already implemented in a sense, but only for 2 files back, and you have to manually access the second.  The backup and the normal file.  Currently to use the backup you have to manually go to your install directory, go to the save directory, and then the folder name matching your save, and then copy campaign.xml.bak over campaign.xml and descriptor.xml.bak over descriptor.xml.  I admit making that an option to load from the game instead of manually going to do the file handling yourself would help with the case where someone hits save when they meant to hit load.

I don't see how to solve the hitting the load button accidentally problem can be done without slowing the whole process down though, as it would require saving your current state temporarily every time you hit load.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

This is literally a glitch on how my brain works that causing me do that exact opposite of what I want to do.

So.. don't use quicksave? Sorry, but you being unable to hit the right button does not necessitate a change in how quickload / quicksave works. I know no game I've ever played that allowed to abort a load / save.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 12:22:51 AM »

Also, just plain unbind quickload. You generally load a fraction as much as you save, and you can't hit a key by accident if it doesn't exist.
Pages: [1] 2