Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Supply and demand oddities?  (Read 8101 times)

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Supply and demand oddities?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

I'm tech mining on a water world. Believe they must have had invisible floating cities.

It would be useful to have tech mining show something on it's square picture and also produce a left side notification when it runs down.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »

Ah, gotcha, yes, that makes sense! To be honest I wasn't thinking of this too much, since Tech-Mining is the only major (any?) case of overlap. It'd be weird if those added up while demand didn't, but if demand added up that'd complicate things *a lot*.

I've been thinking about this a bit post release and it might be that removing commodity production from Tech-Mining entirely (and leaving only the "free" cargo finds, along with possibly tweaking its costs/output) might be the way to go. It'll get rid of this weird case, and make Tech-Mining less of a threat-magnet, to boot, as well as making it more unique.
Hmm. Picking the ruins of a dead world for processed materials is a nice bit of post-apocalyptic flavor, though. And excessive expeditions appear to be an issue even without tech-mining.

Thought: A TM that produces 4 metals is currently redundant for meeting demand if there's a Refining producing 5 or more metals on the same colony, but if the TM still contributed to metals export income would that be bad in some way?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »

Thought: A TM that produces 4 metals is currently redundant for meeting demand if there's a Refining producing 5 or more metals on the same colony, but if the TM still contributed to metals export income would that be bad in some way?

It'd be inconsistent with how demand works, so that's a minus. "Uses largest value" is nice and simple. Plus stuff really isn't meant to stack like this, this would mean tech-mining plus regular mining is incredibly better in terms of what a single colony can produce.

Hmm. Picking the ruins of a dead world for processed materials is a nice bit of post-apocalyptic flavor, though. And excessive expeditions appear to be an issue even without tech-mining.

I think we still get that from the stuff you get put into storage. Maybe more so because it's less abstract.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 01:47:39 AM »

I'd still quite like a system where if you had a demand or supply of, say, 5 + 5, it would equal 6 in total, and 2 + 2 would be 3, and so on and so forth.  It would make demand more of an issue where you have lots of overlapping and similar demand, wheras currently this isn't a problem at all (and is in fact optimal)

That would suggest that the supply quantities were 2^n rather than y^n, though.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »

I kind of like that tech mine's commodity production is lost if made redundant -- nice little balancing feature against needing to put a tech mine on every planet that could ever support it, if you're already putting a regular mine and refinery and heavy industry and such on the same planet.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 [2]