Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion - Reducing Monotonous Combat  (Read 2334 times)

Watsong

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Suggestion - Reducing Monotonous Combat
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »

You engage an enemy fleet in combat. After a 30 minute battle, victory is yours! But, oh no! There are three other enemy fleets that suddenly enter sensor range and they are in faster-than-you pursuit!

You decide to:
1. Run. Knowing that they will catch you and attack you, one after the other, until you die from it.
2. Load a saved game, causing you to have wasted 30 minutes.

(Player chooses 1.)
You attempt to run and, as expected, the enemy fleet quickly catches up to you and engages your fleet.

You decide to:
1. Click through the dialog to start a battle, since you have to. Then quit to the main menu, (via incorrectly named "Exit Game"). Then load a saved game.
2. Fight the enemy and eventually lose your fleet to either them or one of the other two incoming fleets, pointlessly wasting an hour of your time.
3. Flee.

(Player chooses 3.)
You attempt to flee the enemy by flying your flagship off the top of the map. The enemy is faster than you and you will either die or lose a lot of your fleet while running.

You decide to:
1. Suffer major fleet losses through 20 minutes of boring, slow, flying upwards, watching several of your ships be overtaken and destroyed around you.
2. Quit to the main menu, (via incorrectly named "Exit Game"), as there is no load game option here and load a saved game.
3. Make a forum post suggesting that there be access to the load game function at more points in the game, like when in a dialog. And, once again, suggest that the game be paused after any dialog in the game finishes. Lastly, suggest that the game offer an auto-resolve option for all Flee attempts, even when no officers are in the fleet.

(Player chooses 3.)
You gained a level. +1 "Frustration". (-25% enjoyment and -25% desire to play this game). You make the forum post and await feedback.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - Reducing Monotonous Combat
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »

Get a better sensor range or faster ships. Problem solved.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »

1) hunt for augmented field drives mod
2) put your mouse over your fleet's drive speed
3) hold f1
4) put augmented field drives and/or militarized subsystems on whatever is slowing your fleet down
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:15:21 AM »

Also there's hidden options 3 and potentially 4 at step one.

3. Transverse Jump.
4. Go Dark, then do some fancy maneuvers and lose them in the asteroid belt.

I'd attempt to make a more useful post, but I'm not sure what you -want-.

Do you not want this to happen in future?  If so, we've given you reasonably good advice, though it can't make you less annoyed that it already happened.

Do you want the monotonous combats to have an autoresolve option, so you can skip the fleeing pointlessly part?

Do you want an easier quit to main menu and reload cycle?  Perhaps a Load Game button from the escape menu?  (I'd like that, by the way.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:17:18 AM by Darloth »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 02:48:48 AM »

Augmented Drive Field is very OP expensive, using it puts you at very significant disadvantage against same class opponent. It's not meant to be used on primary combatants.

However Tugs are a bargain in 0.9. With Fleet logistics 3 and Efficiency Overhaul hullmod they cost 6 supply, 4 Fuel for +1 burn speed. They have huge sensor profile, but does it matter if you are just fast enough to catch/evade the enemy?
Tugs are 8 burn and can be improved to 9 via Militarized subsystems (at cost of losing Efficiency Overhaul).

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 02:56:20 AM »

Why not both?  Limit is 2 logistics mod.

I know I've put Militarized Subsystems and Efficiency Overhaul together on other ships...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 03:48:05 AM »

Why not both?  Limit is 2 logistics mod.

I know I've put Militarized Subsystems and Efficiency Overhaul together on other ships...

Tug has only 5 OP, and gets no benefit from Loadout Design. Militarized Subsystems is 5, Efficiency Overhaul is 3. 8>5.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »

tug burn rate doesn't matter
read their hullmod carefully, they stack. If you need oxes, then the speed of one is irrelevant bc you can just get more to make up for the first one being slow
that is, don't put speed hullmods onto oxen, only put the efficiency overhaul and/or sensors bc you're gonna need to stack multiple anyway
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:02:17 AM by Deshara »
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 05:03:56 AM »

PS you can hide in the debris field of a previous fight. 0.9 treats basically all terrain as asteroid fields, cant tell you how many doomstacks I dodged bc I went dark and full stopped as soon as a fight ended and just... sat in the hulks of the fleet I'd just destroyed and pretended I didn't make it out of the fight

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:14:29 AM »

tug burn rate doesn't matter
read their hullmod carefully, they stack. If you need oxes, then the speed of one is irrelevant bc you can just get more to make up for the first one being slow
that is, don't put speed hullmods onto oxen, only put the efficiency overhaul and/or sensors bc you're gonna need to stack multiple anyway

You still stack base speed + 1 per tug. Having tug as the slowest ship in your fleet is inefficient.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »

it's supposed to be, that's how it's balanced. It feels wrong bc you think you're supposed to have one, but you're supposed to have any amount except for just one (and the prohibitive OP stat guarantees this) -- tugs are only able to be efficient in larger fleets

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »

Having a fleet that is both slower and weaker than enemies in hostile space is usually a bad idea, yes.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:15:23 AM »

You were caught at a disadvantage. While it does happen (and when you fight LP stations or expedition fleets, it may happen more frequently than what's comfortable), there's usually the root cause of carelessness. Stay out of enemy sensor range, do sensor burst from a distance or stay 'dark' while you watch the comings and goings, including fleet movement patterns.

You can get quite a lot of stuff done this way that seems otherwise impossible. Similarly, you can quickly find yourself in a 3-fleet pursuit where there's no conceivable way out. It's just the nature of a game where 'parties' chase each other around the map. Warband had this too, and Warband had less options for dealing with it.

This happens to expert players too, btw. And being taken out by 3 angry fleets is a nice incentive to reflect on what went wrong. Frustrating as it is. ;)

Watsong

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »

@Darloth:
As per my post, I'm suggesting:

- That there be access to the load game function at more points in the game, like when in a dialog.

- That the game be paused after any dialog in the game finishes. *Most Important Change*. No easier way to get caught by an enemy fleet than the dialog box closing and the game immediately continuing before you've even got your bearings after, potentially, 30+ minutes in battle.

- That the game offer an auto-resolve option for all Flee attempts.

Perhaps another option, in addition and if feasible, would be a "Scatter the fleet" option in the pre-battle dialog. Knowing your imminent defeat, it is a desperate option. Your fleet will completely disband and, in flavour text only, "scatter in all directions". The effect will be that your fleet will disappear from the map. The player will reappear at the nearest non-hostile station, (or other point in space?) and some game time will pass. The player's ship could be lost, as could any number of other ships from your fleet, (a formula would decide and partially randomise this). Surviving ships will still be in the fleet at reduced CR. A very useful option for Ironman mode and for those players without a "safe" save.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:56:54 PM »

PS you can hide in the debris field of a previous fight. 0.9 treats basically all terrain as asteroid fields, cant tell you how many doomstacks I dodged bc I went dark and full stopped as soon as a fight ended and just... sat in the hulks of the fleet I'd just destroyed and pretended I didn't make it out of the fight

LOL! Hiding in a debris field with doomstacks boring in would be nerve wracking! A use for Go Dark.
Pages: [1] 2