Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: the acceleration of diffient action  (Read 651 times)

Transuni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
the acceleration of diffient action
« on: November 23, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »

recently,im play with shadowyard mod, i notice engne animation?very nice.
so i think, those ships without side-spout, how can they turn left/right so fast the same as ยทยทยทยท shadowyard's ship.
diffient ship should have diffient acceleration of trun left/right, sprafe left/right, including forward/backward.
like onslaught,this ship trun left/right should be slowly(acceleration) ,although it can push front dirction speed to the max quickly,but if he want back ,should spend much more time?
i think this change can improve the importance of prigate/destroyer.
just image,in the vast universe,one tri-tachyon's wolf meet a hegmony's onslaught. then the wolf have no hesitate to choose escape, but onslaugh captain decided not to let the little baby go,then he let engine boost.with shadow getting closer and closer?wolf know he cant leave safely today, he burn reverse rapidly. onslaught want turn around but he cant?with all bullets from turrets missing, wolf pass by onslught, then the wolf just kick onslaught's butt so happy and safe. when onslaught's main-engine shut down, wolf captain leave safely with a laugh face. at that time,the captain of onslayght remenber the happy time with willism,the bad guy who was a destroyer's captain, now he lying captain's bed xD.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: the acceleration of diffient action
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »

what you're identifying as engines are not actually engines, they're exhaust ports. It flares up when you move forward because you're leaving a trail of exhaust behind yourself; when you reverse it glows bc that same trail is flowing over the ship's hull. It isn't responsible for propelling the ship
Space ships in SS don't run on chemical reaction like IRL ships do now -- think more like Futurama ships that move the entire universe except for itself within it to create relative movement (which A) isn't the actual mechanism in this game, don't @ me Alex and 2) makes complete sense when you think about how ships in Futurama (and games that aren't pretentious) work where they can move in all directions at a moment's notice without needing to spin to orient their engine correctly)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: the acceleration of diffient action
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

In addition, ships already have different front, back, and sideways accelerations.

Some ships have ship systems that vastly increase these, and the Auxiliary Thrusters hull mod increases all of them - I'm not sure whether it increases them all equally or not.