Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: being forced to engage a battlestation isn't fun  (Read 1634 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
being forced to engage a battlestation isn't fun
« on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »

I have four destroyers, and two of: vigilance, lashers and hounds, plus my noncombatants. I have gone to my colony, picked up every hulk I've dragged back to my colony post-fight, armed every one of them and dragged my revenant fleet over to Arcadia to Deploy All twice on it and watch as my whole fleet is decimated without doing any hull damage to the thing.
So, being forced to engage it w/o my full revenant fleet bc my fleet got tagged for running w transponder off and is technically too large to disengage from a battlestation and a kite + shepherd patrol isn't awesome.

Probably if you are attacked by an enemy and they are reinforced by a battle station you should be able to attempt to disengage no matter what.
Anyway I'm gonna go watch my whole fleet get wiped to a man, six hours since my last save.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: being forced to engage a battlestation isn't fun
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »

lost all my frigates attempting to clear out the patrol supporting the battlestation, then lost all my destroyers in the process of defeating on single section (and really what happened is every destroyer I had died getting my drover into "fire every missile at once" range) only to discover that if you're forced to engage a battlestation you could immediately forfeit the fight w/o fighting and then disengage.
The funny part; my buffalo, Valkyrie and salvage rig immediately killed the patrol in the post-wipe disengage battle lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »

I have no idea why you're "forced" to fight just with transponder off.
You have the option to turn it back on and just pay some rep, unless you're already hostile to that faction.
But then in that case, you should either just never go close to their station or juke the patrol to fight lone station.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »

I think what the OP means is if the player gets tagged by a patrol, and the station is close enough, the station gets sucked into the fight.  A fleet may be winnable, but not fleet and killer battlestation.  The player should be able to evade the battlestation since it cannot move.

What should happen is if player gets caught and a station gets involved, the player should be able to be allowed to back away from the station and if the enemy fleet still wants to fight, they can, but without backup from the station.  If enemy fleet does not want to fight without the station help, then player can disengage freely.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »

I think what the OP means is if the player gets tagged by a patrol, and the station is close enough, the station gets sucked into the fight.  A fleet may be winnable, but not fleet and killer battlestation.  The player should be able to evade the battlestation since it cannot move.

What should happen is if player gets caught and a station gets involved, the player should be able to be allowed to back away from the station and if the enemy fleet still wants to fight, they can, but without backup from the station.  If enemy fleet does not want to fight without the station help, then player can disengage freely.
Well as you're officially "caught" by patrol in station range, there is no reason they'd let you just walk away intact and I think it's totally legit design.
You either just turn on your transponder and start stealth all over or go doomed for trespassing a police station.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »

Yes, except "in station range" is several planet-widths, and you may well be moving away from the station at the time.  It's not like you were parked next to it... except, suddenly, there it is in the battle.

So, conceptually, the game should represent this with a different dialog tree as others have suggested.  If the fleet that caught you wants to fight you, it can - but NOT by putting the station on the battlemap, unless you (the defender in this case) wanted to engage the station as well.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 02:10:46 PM »

This seems like a bug to me; stations should increase the weight of an attacking fleet such that the defender can *always* withdraw no matter their fleet size.

To counterbalance such a change you could make stations increase the re-enforcement range, so if the defender does withdraw, the force that'll chase them down may be larger than normal. (if sufficient supporting fleets are nearby)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »

Patrol can catch you, but the station cannot.  Since enemies can never squish your fleet between them and the station (they always appear behind the station in combat), you should always have the option to back off far enough away from the station if you do not want to fight it.  This, of course, is resolved in dialog.  The fleet can still force a fight without a station if they want unless you want to kill everyone in one battle.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 03:11:35 PM »

I think you can just make the battle size 500 in settings and you'll be able to trigger "escape" scenario instead of forced all-out fight given your fleet is reasonably not-over-sized.
Stations don't spawn in "escape" right?