Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: AI and Missiles  (Read 11394 times)

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AI and Missiles
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

I'm not sure, I think they just try to save them for key moments.  Lashers unleashing all their mrms when I'm high flux comes to mind.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »

I'm not sure, I think they just try to save them for key moments.  Lashers unleashing all their mrms when I'm high flux comes to mind.

Yeah they are annoyingly good at that... I get them down to a few hundred hull and think that I'm doing pretty well. I move off and start to vent, or just put my shields down, or maybe got overloaded, and bam, 6 missiles up the pipe and I'm toast, or at least hurting badly...

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »

Yeah they are annoyingly good at that... I get them down to a few hundred hull and think that I'm doing pretty well. I move off and start to vent, or just put my shields down, or maybe got overloaded, and bam, 6 missiles up the pipe and I'm toast, or at least hurting badly...
Indeed. That's what makes the ai so effective with those lashers. The ai really is good at this, for now.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »

Well, sometimes.  They do try to save those missiles for a good time - but the AI can be overly cautious (to be fixed next version), and I've seen plenty of lashers die without firing a single harpoon at all.  They tend to be a bit more aggressive with salamanders or swarmers, though, so I typically only mount harpoons or sabot SRMs on my flagship or on something that's meant to go after bigger prey than other frigates.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »

It is really strange, that the harpoon MRM are so damging that it gives a lasher the capability to take an capital. And with such an good ai, it does do sometimes.
But when the ai is overly cautios, they tend to retreat quickly aswell.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »

The stock lasher that you start with is a really powerful ship.  But it's not one that the AI is actually very good at flying; I can take one out with a shuttle, because the AI doesn't realize that it has to close to machine gun range in order to take out my shields - and instead tries to make me overload with assault guns, which just doesn't work.  It plays it a bit too cautiously against other frigates, and that isn't always the right thing.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

But it plays overly agressive against capitals  :-\, but the AC's do kinetic damage, although the ai is not good at using the hardpoints, instead, i thinks they are turreted mounts, atleast that's what i've seen.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

Ah, we're talking about different variants.  I was referring to the one with 2x fixed assault gun, 3x light machine gun, 2x harpoon mrm.  On which the assault guns are explosive (and thus fair poorly against shields), while the machine guns are kinetic (and thus totally shred the shields of anything frigate sized).

A version with 2x fixed autocannons would be rather better at taking down shields from a decent range.  I don't think I've actually come across one of those while flying a shuttle, so I can't say how I'd do.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

Aha, a misunderstanding, but Why combat a lasher with a shuttle (even if you won?)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »

Because it was there, and I could?

Because I wanted to have some IR pulse lasers available for purchase, and since the game was refusing to randomly deliver any to the station, I had to go die a lot until I could get shuttles.  And then I had to fly a shuttle over to the star base without dying along the way.  Which included chasing off a large number of lasher frigates - they're just a bit faster than the shuttle, so I couldn't always avoid combat, and could only rarely get in kills.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »

Yeah I really need to add convoys in my mod to deliver all these hard to get items. I already put conquests in as their cap ships.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Harabeck

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

The Tri-Tachyon station and Gun Runner mod would solve that issue. The Gun Runner station seems to keep 20 of every weapon in stock.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »

Oh true.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »

To dig this thread back out of the rubble instead of creating a new thread

This is definitivly fixed in the Current version,
the AI loves to toss missiles at you and has this almost human "FIRE ZE MIZZILES!!" where they just unleash all missiles they got...
i just got totally annihilated 3 times in a row...

Quote from: Aurora Cruiser
Hi, i'm the Aurora Cruiser...
i will just Fire my 4 Sabot SRM missile racks at you and watch you BURN!
Don't Mind me

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »

really? im still having trouble getting my AI to shoot small missile mounts that have 3 ammo or even 5 ammo.

i have essentially just started putting the high ammo small missile mounts on most things because of it. (annihilator rockets etc.) because it will use them.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3