Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Better remote survey  (Read 1504 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Better remote survey
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:06:44 AM »

It's an ability, it should be a little more useful.

Others have mentioned it as well so I know I'm not alone in thinking "eh, it's okay I guess, but I'm not buying the skill to remote survey" when really it should be a big or at least medium plus of having that skill.

Here's some ideas to start us off:
  • Remote Survey can detect ruins - but not tell you how big they are.  Some planets may also have a "false ruins" condition, which reports as ruins to remote survey and in the preliminary description, but comes up as either already looted or entirely destroyed or missing ruins when actually surveyed.
  • Remote Survey can detect especially large concentrations of whatever - if you knew that 50 supplies hellworld over there had ultra-rich rare ores... would you want to survey it more?
  • Remote Survey can give you a binary present/non-present for certain categories - Does the gas giant have volatiles at all?  Remote survey will tell you, though not how many there are.  Maybe also for ores or organics?
Not sure it should do all of the above, but it'd certainly be nice if it did SOME of them, and... eh, I wouldn't complain if it did them all.  I don't think it would be overpowered.  What other ideas can people come up with?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Better remote survey
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:03:27 AM »

I will full survey planets regardless of remote survey.  Gotta catch scan them all!

My suggestion (perhaps as another bonus of the perk aside from the ability) would be to reduce the cost of surveying a planet, similar to the Surveying hullmod some ships have.