Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Colony hemorrhaging money, Need tips and tricks  (Read 4622 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony hemorrhaging money, Need tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »

You can't grow the fuel/food/drug markets yourself. You might be able to grow metal/transplutonic markets enough to offset growing marginal costs.

Why? Colony population itself has food consumption, mines have drug consumption, many military things have fuel consumption. Or do you mean that growth will be not enough to cover maintenance?

Well, anyway preparing to eventually live on your own after wiping out everyone else seems a good long term goal...

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 03:07:49 AM »

Growth will be too small since there's already dozens and dozens of consumers, and the sector-wide market is only around 100-300K credits.

Transplutonics on the other hand has 6 consumers, so 7 colonies with orbital works can double the size of the market. You can then capture most of it with a couple of high-access freeports, while the rest of the colonies optimize for efficiency.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »

Not necessarily, your 7 colonies also increase market cap by their consumption.

Yep, but buildings in general have a small input/high output ratio with a significant running cost, that means returns will be:
- great when you can sell most of the output
- really bad when heavy industry's output is essentially ~10% output(extra total market share) + ~50-80% input(your market share from the extra resources needed)

More colonies = more money in most cases, my point was that 7 colonies = maybe 50% more money than 3 as a very rough guess.
Once I have enough beta cores for all 7 and my smaller ones are also max size I'll let some of them decivilize to see.

IIRC mines do need drugs but yes, probably not practical just for that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:55:05 AM by Draba »
Pages: 1 [2]