Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.9a] (Win10) Fullscreen scaling and other issues  (Read 8639 times)

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9a] (Win10) Fullscreen scaling and other issues
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »

On a 4K monitor, running at 1920x1080 resolution, the game runs in a tiny 1920x1080 square in the middle of the monitor instead of scaling up to fill the entire screen.

Setting DPI compatibility to override so as to perform scaling by system rather than application everywhere I could find (starsector.exe and various java .exes inside of jre folder) does nothing to help.

Additionally, there's an annoying bug when one has the taskbar anchored to the top of the screen. If you alt tab out and back into the program, the taskbar will display on top of the game. Every subsequent alt-tab shrinks the game viewport and displays more of the desktop by the same amount.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] (Win10) Fullscreen scaling and other issues
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »

On a 4K monitor, running at 1920x1080 resolution, the game runs in a tiny 1920x1080 square in the middle of the monitor instead of scaling up to fill the entire screen.

Does this happen when "fullscreen" is checked in the launcher?

Can you try running the game in compatibility mode for... say Windows 7, if windows gives you that option?

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

Yes, using full-screen option ticked, and no, Windows 7 compatibility does nothing to help.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »

Sorry about the trouble! Hmm.

What about checking the "Disable display scaling on High DPI settings" button on the Compatibility tab, and then running in fullscreen?

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

I don't think that option exists anymore. There's a "disable fullscreen optimizations" that doesn't seem to do anything. There's a "let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" setting in control panel (Advanced scaling settings) that does nothing either.

For future reference, should I need to make changes to java executables as well or just starsector.exe?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:42:10 PM »

Hmm - maybe the steps here might work? A round-about way of getting to what looks like the same thing as "disable display scaling". You'd probably have to set it to "Application". Sorry I can't confirm; not running Windows 10.

For future reference, should I need to make changes to java executables as well or just starsector.exe?

Hard to say for sure, since that can depend on what the OS does. I know in the past just checking "disable display DPI scaling" on the .exe - and not java - was enough to resolve this sort of thing.

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »

Those steps don't solve the issue unfortunately, and I think I've tried about every combination in that window.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:41:25 PM »

Argh, sorry to hear that!

Grasping at straws here, but: are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

It *seems* like this should be something we could figure out (otherwise I'd probably be hearing about more people having this problem), but I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point - at least, nothing comes to mind right now. If you'd like a refund, please let me know.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »

If you're using NVidia drivers, open up the "NVIDIA Control Panel" (should be in task bar, might be hidden), from there select Display>Adjust desktop size and position and select "Aspect ratio" for your scaling.  Set other values appropriately.  (I personally use this to deal with older games without issues)

If that doesn't work most high end monitors will do scaling also, poke around in your monitor settings (the ones accessed by the buttons on your monitors that have a horrible user interface).

If you have AMD they probably have something similar to what NVidia has.  If you are using integrated graphics, no good advice.

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »

Ok, so I already had scaling mode set to Aspect Ratio, but switching from scaling on Display to GPU did the trick.

Odd that no other applications have ran in a little box with the old setting, but glad it's fixed. Thanks, Nick.

I should note though that the alt-tab behaviour remains.

Alfaholic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 04:36:02 AM »

Found a bug to enable playing in 4K resolution.

On a 4K monitor I get the 1920*1080 boxed view when having 4k on desktop , tried changing the nvidia control panel settings without success. So i changed desktop/monitor resolution to 1920*1080 and started in 1920*1080 fullscreen but it still boxes the game in a tinier view.
BUT! What happens now is that the 4K resolution is available in the menu and the game starts in 4K fullscreen if chosen (when the desktop is not in 4K).

This implies that there might be a bug in the resolution-coding. 

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 10:00:19 AM »

Thank you for the report! I think as far as it letting you select 4k in this case, that's correct - it's not bound by the desktop resolution, but by what the graphics driver supports.

Getting a boxed view - could you describe exactly what you mean by this? I'm not sure I understand.

(Either way, though, there'll be proper 4k support in the next release, with UI scaling.)

Alfaholic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply Alex, I meant that I get the same issue as Hurley above, i did fix it by changing startup conditions for the exe as descibed in another thread by disabling fullscreen optimization under compatibility.  The 4K fullscreen resolution is not available when the desktop is in 4K, but if i lower the desktop resolution it's suddenly availble.   

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply Alex, I meant that I get the same issue as Hurley above, i did fix it by changing startup conditions for the exe as descibed in another thread by disabling fullscreen optimization under compatibility.

Thank you for clarifying - makes sense, and glad that you were able to work around it.

The 4K fullscreen resolution is not available when the desktop is in 4K, but if i lower the desktop resolution it's suddenly availble.

Ahh, I see what you mean now, that does sound like the available resolution detection is going off the rails somewhere. The code is a bit different now, though (due to adding 4k support), so the issue probably didn't carry over.

Zhadum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »

I just bought and downloaded the game and I run into the same issue. Using a 4K screen and the game won't let me chose 4k resolution and if I try to start it in fullscreen it changes the desktop resolution while also playing in a window. Basically unplayable and very annoying.

If I change the desktop resolution it does allow me to chose 4k resolution when starting game.
Version 0.9.1.A

Addendum:
Tried to test the lower desktop resolution to allow the game to run in 4k. Seemed to work till I got into the game where I was missing a large section of the game area. I could only see the lower left of the game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:32:10 PM by Zhadum »
Pages: [1] 2