Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project modfarer  (Read 3157 times)

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
project modfarer
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

I mentioned in these fora a little while ago that I was thinking about writing a website to support this modding community.  Well, there seemed to be an enthusiastic enough response that I am pleased to announce that project Modfarer (for lack of a better name) is officially underway.  The road map looks like this:

Phase 1: Core Functionality
- Users
   - Register
   - Log out
   - Upload mods
- Mods
   - Upload
   - Download
   - Display
- Content accessibility
   - Search
   - Browse

Phase 2: Users/Social
- User profiles
- Support for modding teams
- Comments on mods
- Intra-site messaging system

Phase 3: Developer support
- How-tos/Articles?
- Wiki?
- fora?
- materials for modders
   - sprites
   - storylines/fiction
   - examples?
   - etc?

As always, if there's more stuff you'd like to see the site able to do, let me know!  I'm looking for questions/comments/ideas/suggestions pretty much constantly.

One killer feature I don't have on the road map is a parser that unpacks mods as they're uploaded and generates an itemized list of what hulls/variants/weapons/missions/etc users can expect to see when they install the mod.  I'll tentatively say I'm gonna start thinking about that sometime after phase 1, but I have enough work cut out for myself right now.  So yeah.  That's what's gonna happen.  I'll keep you all updated as stuff gets done.

If anyone's willing to be a go-to person for me as I have specific questions about how the site can best serve you modders, let me know in this thread or PM me and I'll start a list and put you on it.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: project modfarer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »

Sounds excellent. If you need anybody to do some graphical work, don't hesitate to ask me.

One thing that might be a good idea is the addition of forums in phase 2. As it is, these official modding forums are pretty overcrowded, and it's only going to get more and more packed as the game keeps gaining popularity. Perhaps Alex could give 'modfarer' some official sanction, and completely move the modding community over to this new site if the situation at the time calls for it.

And in phase three, a wiki or some sort of tutorial repository is a must, for what should hopefully be obvious reasons.

And I see you used my hastily thought-up name :P

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: project modfarer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »

Sounds really great, but will it be great?