Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Disengage Rules?  (Read 5362 times)

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Disengage Rules?
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:45:33 PM »

I am not entirely sure, but lately I don't get the disengage option anymore. Is there a certain rule-set for disengagement? Cause right now, it feels a bit off, my fleet is usually the fastest, since I have Augmented Drives on nearly every ship, generally my fleet has about 2-3 more burn than the enemy's fleet. Or is it faction specific as well, e.g., the Luddite Path generally seems to be far more aggressive in battle as well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Disengage Rules?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »

Your fleet is too big.  It needs to be smaller (less ships or something).

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »

Hmm is it with an absolute value? Because right now, it feels off. I have an excellent fleet of fast ships (in tight formation), yet the enemy has a huge blob of old frigates, slow battleships, etc. and is able to outmaneuver me? Would be great to see the numbers if there is calculation, because right now it feels - unlike nearly everything else in-game - rather arbitrary.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »

40% of battle size in deploy cost - any more and you are not guaranteed to be able to retreat.
Fleet screen has a note in top left when your fleet is too big to disengage.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:41:59 PM »

You may find this previous discussion of the subject interesting, btw

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »

thank you TaLar and Histidine!

Singrana

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »

Personally i wish that instead of the retreat where all your slow ships die (or you use it as a way to split the enemy up into 3 groups and fight them one by one legend of the galactic heroes EP1 style) instead i wish that when engaged by a much bigger enemy blob (so you have no chance at all of surviving) you would be offered to dedicate some (minimum) fraction of your total fleet to a "rearguarding" battle, where the goal is only to survive and hold the enemy for a bit (say have an objective in the players deploy zone as the "lose" condition) before those rearguard ships can retreat off the map, if you hold for a bit of time then the ones who retreat off the map and the rest of your fleet get to evade the fight, if your rearguard is completely wiped out, then the other ships still get to evade the fight, its just rly frustrating for me how "safe" you have to manuver in the overworld at all times, because running into a fleet twice your size is an instant full wipe of all but your frigates and similar fast ships, it also rly makes me want to stay with only fast ships in my fleet since i know if i start playing with ships with say 60 tac speed its doomed if i ever need to retreat.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »

Personally i wish that instead of the retreat where all your slow ships die (or you use it as a way to split the enemy up into 3 groups and fight them one by one legend of the galactic heroes EP1 style) instead i wish that when engaged by a much bigger enemy blob (so you have no chance at all of surviving) you would be offered to dedicate some (minimum) fraction of your total fleet to a "rearguarding" battle, where the goal is only to survive and hold the enemy for a bit (say have an objective in the players deploy zone as the "lose" condition) before those rearguard ships can retreat off the map, if you hold for a bit of time then the ones who retreat off the map and the rest of your fleet get to evade the fight, if your rearguard is completely wiped out, then the other ships still get to evade the fight, its just rly frustrating for me how "safe" you have to manuver in the overworld at all times, because running into a fleet twice your size is an instant full wipe of all but your frigates and similar fast ships, it also rly makes me want to stay with only fast ships in my fleet since i know if i start playing with ships with say 60 tac speed its doomed if i ever need to retreat.

Something in that general vein sounds like a pretty good idea to me. The particulars might need some ironing out, of course, but the principle of it sounds reasonable at first glance, at least.

gladius2metal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »

I agree, there should be the possibility to fight a delaying action:
"a maneuver in which a defensive force delays the advance of a superior enemy force by withdrawing while inflicting the maximum destruction possible without engaging in decisive combat."

Also, if my fleet is far faster (burn level), maneuverable (combat speed) and better organized (Combat Readiness) it should be able to disengage against an enemy that is slower, less maneuverable and less organized. Factors like sensor, etc. should also play a factor. I find it quite odd that  a rag-tag group of beaten pirates ships that barely reach the speed of my fleet can prevent my fleet fully equipped with augmented drives, 3 Apogee with senor arrays, etc. from disengaging.