Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to fight pirates? Build a base next to their base!  (Read 3033 times)

meric

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to fight pirates? Build a base next to their base!
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »

Once upon a time I came upon a hidden pirate base, I couldn't fight them with my fleet - the orbital station was strong.

Then I built a colony on a small Arid planet next to a pirate base orbiting the same gas giant. The Arid planet was a class V planet.

After a few upgrades, the incoming salvage fleets kept engaging the pirate base.

A few months later I find it's disappeared from the map!

Awesome game! Thanks Starsector dev team!

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight pirates? Build a base next to their base!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 03:37:42 AM »

Heh, that's awesome indeed. Usually one had to have Nexerlin mod installed to a have a deeper sense of something close to a 4X game and even then you couldn't set up a colony or bombard a faction out of your game.
This is why I'm conflicted big time about playing the previous version as the new version of the game offers so much more core gameplay and other useful additions that I can't quite imagine playing without them anymore.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:41:09 AM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 05:05:03 AM »

I am considering building a waystation colony in that uninhabited system just south of Askonia whose name begins with a D in the middle of core worlds.  It has one 150% hazard planet with a little metal on it.  Not very great, but it does not matter if my other colonies support it with imports.  From there, I have (in theory) an easy place from where I can launch raids against everyone in the sector.  I do not need to spend lots of time traveling, because Askonia and other systems are practically next door.

Of course, that idea probably only works if I am not hostile with everyone, due to traffic within core worlds.  Probably need to build up rep then stealth raid much.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 05:30:58 AM »

The same happens with remnants too.... Unfortunately.

If you want to keep them around to farm, you simply can't colonize in their systems. Even if you avoid building up defences on the planet, the through traffic will eventually kill the Nexus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 05:46:54 AM »

My first colony used to have Remnants, but not anymore due to it being as busy as a major faction's system.

Also, pirate bases kept reappearing in one system near my first colony, which was handy as income when a bounty got posted on them from time to time.  That system had a 100% hazard terran eccentric worth colonizing.  It became my second colony (originally meant as a waystation colony, but it grew bigger), and the pirate bases no longer appear there.