Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Officer skills affecting the fleet: a starter.  (Read 1355 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Officer skills affecting the fleet: a starter.
« on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

Awhile ago in another thread, one Dark Revenant posted this:
I'd suggest positive design, like making mixing in smaller ships with a larger fleet have some profound inherent value beyond just being cheaper.  The fact that they can capture points quickly isn't really enough for this, since the bonuses are not always large enough to deal with the micromanagement of keeping a forward force of frigates alive.

I think the closest thing to a solution that has been said so far is allowing officers to affect bonuses upon smaller ships.  If an officer of sufficient level is in charge of a capital ship, he might be able to extend his benefits to a cruiser, or a pair of destroyers, or three frigates.  If all of your ships are capital ships, you won't receive the maximum possible benefit from your officers; at a bare minimum, you'd need to pair each capital ship with a cruiser.

Note that due to the implied overall power increase larger ships offer to the fleet with these mechanics, each tier up should be more expensive to compensate.  It would improve the progression curve of the build-up-your-fleet portion of the game, I feel.

To which Alex replied as such:

(As far as officers affecting multiple ships, the merits of the idea aside, that's just a complete non-starter for me in terms of implementation.)

I like this idea, so on the off chance I could get a ball rolling, my idea is this:

Add a secondary effect to officer skills that applies to other ships in the fleet, based on ship size with a lock based on the size of ship that officer is captaining.

IE: Level 1 of combat endurance provides the user with +25% bonus to peak operating time. I cannot confirm but I believe this is true for the player AND for officers.

What if, when applied to an officer, it also provided a scaling bonus of 5%/3%/1% bonus to peak time for all un-captained Frigates, Destroyers, and Cruisers within the fleet, with the highest size of ship that can receive the bonus being one lower than the size of ship that officer is flying.

So if an officer with Combat Endurance level 1 is flying a cruiser, all un-captained frigates and destroyers in the fleet will get +5%/3% peak time.

Ideally this effect would stack with multiple officers having the same skill, but having hard-caps on the max bonuses that can be doled out this way would likely be wise.

Alright I've laid it out, discuss, or dismiss, I'm just trying to see if there is *any* merit to this idea at all, as it could go a long way toward encouraging mixed fleets over single-weight spam. If it works...

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:07:20 PM by Gwyvern »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Officer skills affecting the fleet: a starter.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »

Something else that could be done is to remove the peak time from the skill and then give the base combat skill 10/5/3/1% bonus peak time per combat skill chosen. So if a level 20 full combat captain would have +20% peak time in a cruiser and +200% peak time in a frigate.