Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ad an option to make mouse-flight/keyboard-flight a toggle instead of a hold.  (Read 2750 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

The subject says most of it this time around. I vastly prefer keyboard flight but any hardpoint-heavy ship just does not work very well with it, and having to go into the menu to switch between the two modes depending on what ship I am flying is kind of a chore.

Having to hold the button is awkward since it takes up a finger and forces positioning on the hand.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

+1000 to this! I would kill for this to be implemented
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile

This should probably be added to the frequently made suggestions; it comes up every few months, and Alex has already replied "Tried it, wasn't good."

Here's the quote from back when it was Starfarer:

Yeah, I actually tried it as a toggle early on. It was a huge pain to mentally keep track of the state, even with some UI help. Also takes longer to only turn it on for a brief period - you have to press the button twice, instead of press/release. Just didn't work well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:16:29 PM by Unreal_One »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This should probably be added to the frequently made suggestions; it comes up every few months, and Alex has already replied "Tried it, wasn't good."

Yeah, I actually tried it as a toggle early on. It was a huge pain to mentally keep track of the state, even with some UI help. Also takes longer to only turn it on for a brief period - you have to press the button twice, instead of press/release. Just didn't work well.

Cant we just have an option the settings either "toggle" or "hold"

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

This is why I am asking for an option, as opposed to asking the hold feature be removed, like pretty-much any game with movement altering functions allows the player to do. Alex's assessment of the idea is entirely subjective. If he thinks its hard to keep track of the state, he should try keeping track of the appropriate buttons when an entire part of the same hand is forced to maintain an awkward contact with another button, the performance of which by the way, causes actual physical pain for my hand.

Also personally, Iv'e never come across a situation where I've wanted to switch between the two, mid maneuver, where the speed difference between the two methods would matter at all. The crux of the matter is still that this is entirely up to preference, there isn't a "best way"

Which is why I don't want Alex to remove the current functionality as I know of people who like it that way, all I am asking is for an in-game option to change it to a toggle, for people like me who would prefer it that way, or even as far as my case, find the current function entirely un-usable.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:01:43 AM by Gwyvern »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

Most FPS games propose a "hold or toggle" option to crouch or sprint or aim... It's not like it isn't already common practice.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

Most FPS games propose a "hold or toggle" option to crouch or sprint or aim... It's not like it isn't already common practice.

Exactly.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's easy enough to do with a macro, for example last answer in this thread: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/41510-is-there-any-way-to-get-shift-to-toggle-like-caps-lock/