Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Supercharging  (Read 9499 times)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Supercharging
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »

As you know, energy weapons' damage increases as you gain more flux. When you have more than 50% flux, the HUD says "Supercharged". Well, this is nice, but not helpful if you don't have energy weapons. Well, I think that supercharging should do more things! I was inspired by a confused player in this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1374.0

I think it would be cool if your ship gained a speed increase as you gained flux, but this is completely counter to the idea of getting an engine boost when you have no flux. Do you have any other ideas for what supercharging should do?
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Supercharging
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »

Would be awesome if supercharging could give you a Increased energy weapons range and brighter energy projectiles, because there's more energy pumped into the weapons.

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »

think hes looking for something for non energy weapons like when supercharged cooldowns on non energy weapons get reduced cool downs becuase they are warmed up and running.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

Honestly I think that having a super charged ship should be something you don't want. It means your core reactor is nearly overloaded! That sounds very very bad! Systems should be starting to fry at that point, with short circuits and system failures becoming more and more common. If there were going to be more effects of having high flux I think they should be bad. Right now there is a risk/reward system set in place that I think works pretty well. You are closer to overloading and all your defenses crashing down in exchange for an offensive boost. This makes a bit of sense with energy weapons but doesn't really make sense with anything else currently in place. Missiles and bullets wouldn't really gain anything from the extra voltage in the ship. They won't fire further or harder. The only thing that I might be able to see are the gyros turning faster or something along those lines.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »

I think it's fine as is. The flux increasing the damage of energy weapons sort of makes sense--I really can't think of much else it could do that would also make any sense.

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »

Would be awesome if supercharging could give you a Increased energy weapons range and brighter energy projectiles, because there's more energy pumped into the weapons.
I like the idea of visually altering energy weapons, and maybe shields, of a supercharged ship, or maybe even scale their appearance with flux in some. Either make them brighter, or maybe blueshifting them. Though blueshifted lasers through higher energy would not make a lot of sense, maybe this isn't true for the other stuff. Would be a pretty cool feature, but also something very minor obviously.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »

I agree that only the visuals should change.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »

More speed cap'n

I thought thats what supercharged meant on my first few because i didnt use energy weapons.
:<

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

I like the idea of visually altering energy weapons, and maybe shields, of a supercharged ship, or maybe even scale their appearance with flux in some. Either make them brighter, or maybe blueshifting them. Though blueshifted lasers through higher energy would not make a lot of sense, maybe this isn't true for the other stuff. Would be a pretty cool feature, but also something very minor obviously.
This idea is a good idea.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »

You guys want to make energy weapons even BETTER?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Only visually, but who knows :D

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Yeah... that shouldn't happen for balance purposes. If anything, ballistics should receive some sort of benefit from supercharging as well. Not sure what would make sense though.

Mirage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »

Yeah... that shouldn't happen for balance purposes. If anything, ballistics should receive some sort of benefit from supercharging as well. Not sure what would make sense though.

Rate of Fire perhaps, could easily be argued that more energy to spare, could be diverted to auto loaders, increasing their efficiency?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »

Rate of Fire perhaps, could easily be argued that more energy to spare, could be diverted to auto loaders, increasing their efficiency?

Or maybe faster turret turning rates.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

I would prefer that we look at things from the perspective of game balance, rather than trying to justify it with silly pseudoscience. Besides, the only way to increase the rate of fire of an energy weapon would be amping up the COOLING systems. 'Autoloaders' have nothing to do with it, a real pulse laser can keep going faster than any ballistic weapon-- until it overheats.

Again, do energy weapons need MORE range? Do they need to do MORE damage? I seriously don't think so. Ballistics are already hamstrung enough by ammo and short range, the current system works FINE.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.
Pages: [1] 2 3