Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LARGE Sector  (Read 10257 times)

AlwaysAngron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
LARGE Sector
« on: October 29, 2018, 06:12:33 AM »

I've been playing Starsector a little while and always wondered about "Sector Sizes", and i have never seen it discussed.

You have "Small" and "Normal", will we ever have a "large"?

Is it possible to have the game generate more systems in a mod or simply edit a file already?

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: LARGE Sector
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »

Should be theoretically possible since the current setup is a number of constellations arranged in a grid against the static core sector.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

As far as officially, "normal" is about as large as I'd like it to be, both for performance and gameplay reasons. I also wouldn't necessarily count on "small" sticking around; I don't think it's much of a performance benefit, and that's the primary reason hat setting exists. Modding-wise, it's definitely possible to make it larger, though.

In data/config/settings.json, there's:

"sectorWidth":164000,
"sectorHeight":104000,

You can increase those to make the map itself larger. The number of stars will, iirc, stop at 100 constellations (that's also moddable, but more involved), so it'll go up some if you increase the sector dimensions - since the current Sector, iirc, generally has <100 - but if you say, double the width and height, the constellations will be considerably more sparse.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »

In data/config/settings.json, there's:

"sectorWidth":164000,
"sectorHeight":104000,

You can increase those to make the map itself larger...

I'm now intrigued. If the option to pick between "Normal" and "Small" sector (affecting number of systems) is going to disappear, could we expect - or perhaps request - a new-game-creation setting to change the overall area of the sector? Having the same number of systems either closer together or further apart sounds like something that could be fun to configure on a game-by-game basis, especially for extra challenge or easier gameplay (in each situation depending on how you play, hmm...), and even for roleplay.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »

Hmm - I don't really see doing that, no. A bunch of things in the game are coded around the Sector roughly being that size, from the map's zoom levels and star name layout algorithm to distress call ranges and just a large variety of stuff like that.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »

I'd like the small sector to stay, if it's not too much trouble to keep around.
I use it most of the time because I don't need or want the extra star systems in a normal sector; even small has too many stars for an exploration completionist run. Also I think larger sectors let named bounties spawn further away (not sure).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »

T H I C C SECTOR
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Blaine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:08:16 AM »

One possibility if you desire more to explore might be using the Save Transfer mod to beam your character and all of your stuff into a separate, modded game with an entirely different sector map, as though you were moving from one sector to another.

At the moment, that's pretty much a one-way trip, but I bet someone could even create a script or an entire mod/save management system that allows for sector-hopping not only on a one-way basis, but in a fashion that preserves event progress etc. in each "sector save," allowing you to transfer between each freely. Sadly, that person probably won't be me, since for the time being I lack pretty much all of the necessary modding and coding expertise.

Several sector saves you can transfer between, each perhaps with their own entirely separate factions using some of the many excellent faction mods available, is a nice dream, but something I imagine would require a lot of hard work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:13:30 AM by Blaine »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »

More systems means more rare loot, and I like my rare loot.  I always pick Normal for most systems.

AlwaysAngron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 03:45:08 AM »

Thanks for all the answers, after this playthrough, i may mess around with the sector generation to see at what size it will generate the maximum amount of systems.

It will be VERY different from vannila though, simply because i have every single 8.1 faction mod i could get my grubby hands on
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:24:11 AM by AlwaysAngron »