Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sustained burn and Coronas/Black Holes  (Read 2029 times)

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Sustained burn and Coronas/Black Holes
« on: October 21, 2018, 03:42:31 PM »

So, I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour but it seems strange to me so I'm reporting it here.

If you activate sustained burn, you will not be able to get as close to a star as you could without it. This can be annoying when you need to interact with a derelict/station/jump point close to a star and it seems like you can't get close enough to reach them. Another case of this concerns black holes, if you get sucked into one when sustained burn is active you won't be able to escape at all, though as soon as you deactivate it your fleet is able to slowly crawl out of the event horizon, again this is unintuitive behaviour (going faster should allow me to escape the black hole's gravitational pull more easily) and can lead to large loss of supplies if don't know about this particularity beforehand.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:47:28 PM by Zenos Ebeth »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Sustained burn and Coronas/Black Holes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 04:09:10 PM »

This is working as intended - Sustained Burn reduces your acceleration, which is what you need to make headway against solar wind or to pull away from a black hole.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »

Is this behaviour documented anywhere? I only knew of it because I read the forums.

Although even if you put it in the tooltip, people would read about it once and then forget it exists because this detail only comes up in very rare circumstances.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »

It's in the tooltip. Your fleet also accelerates up to speed and turns notably more slowly.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »

I mean, yea, it tells you that SB reduces acceleration, but I don't think most people make the connection with "you need to turn SB off to make headway against coronas and black hole gravity". Especially since living on a planetary surface leads to the intuition that something going faster means the engine is more powerful.

(Is this too discussion-y for a bug report thread? Sorry; I can make a Suggestions thread if needed.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »

(Is this too discussion-y for a bug report thread? Sorry; I can make a Suggestions thread if needed.)

(No worries, but yeah.)