Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strange performance issue  (Read 7614 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Re: Strange performance issue
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »

All along the way indeed.

Setting shaders off on GraphicsLib enhances load times by a lot, but I fear adding another faction mod will just increase loading times back to their old selves.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »

All the way along does sound like vsync being forced on. Maybe try forcing it off in your graphics settings? Also would need to set it to false in settings.json; otherwise the game would end up with an uncapped framerate.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »

I turned VSync off in the settings.json and in the NVIDIA Graphics Card options app (wasn't GeForce Experience), GraphicsLib seemed to fix the problem of extreme loading times when I turned off the shaders option in the file.

I have faster load times now which is good, and so far the game runs smooth, even for extended gameplay times past 2 hours. I'll notify if any problems with load times may occur, but VSync most definitely needs to be off at all times for loading to be notably better, especially with GraphicsLib running.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Enirlan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »

Well Alex, my problem is back again after upgrading to 0.9a .. But it's way worse now.  Some battles go as low as 5fps, generally performance out of battle is around 10-20fps, which is mostly unplayable.  Idle shows 2-3%, actual GPU usage was checked with msi afterburner OSD in the same ranges, and CPU usage is between 20-30%.  Memory usage again around 2500mb.   As before, not using any mods fixes the problem - but im not using that many.  Starsector.log shows
15   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.7.0_79 (64-bit)
46   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: raccoonarms [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Arsenal Expansion 1.5]
46   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: audio_plus [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Audio Plus]
46   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: istl_dam [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering]
46   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: diableavionics [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\DIABLEAVIONICS]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: shaderLib [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\GraphicsLib]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: kadur_remnant [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Kadur Remnant]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_lazylib [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: ArkLeg [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Legacy of Arkgneisis]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: MagicLib [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\MagicLib]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: Mayasuran Navy [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Mayasuran Navy]
62   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: $$rebalanced_pilums [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\Rebalanced Pilums]
78   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: Sylphon_RnD [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\sylphon]
78   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: US [D:\StarSector\starsector-core\..\mods\UnknownSkies]

This is defintely weird.  Could there be something wrong with the video driver ?? Or something else?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »

Hmm - can you try disabling GraphicsLib through its settings file? That way you can run mods that depend on it w/o getting the performance hit. At least, in theory - my guess is that it's something about your card/drivers/OS/etc not playing nice with the various graphics stuff it does.

Enirlan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »

Ill try that and see how it goes.  Ill report back in an hour or so.

Enirlan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »

Sorry I didn't respond back right away.  Anyways, in my most recent tests, setting GraphicsLib to "enableShaders":false in the ini file did almost nothing to improve the performance, with or without mods (although with no other mods, it did show a slight increase, but it wasn't noticeable by eye)  I ran a seperate installation of StarSector 0.8.1 that I had backed up, disabled all the mods except graphicslib and lazylib, and the performance issues disappeared.  Between 0.9 and 0.8.1, there is something different with how the game is interacting with windows / video card or something, but I can't say what.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?  Im gonna try downloading a newer video card driver avaiable for my gtx 1050, and see if that does anything.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:06:20 PM by Enirlan »
Pages: 1 [2]