Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Proposing affix changes in 0.9  (Read 4769 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Proposing affix changes in 0.9
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 03:21:08 AM »

Some readable distinction between ships with d-mods and permanently degraded ships would be useful. What that should look like is just a cosmetic question.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 03:24:40 AM »

...what upgrades?

I'm talking about the (A) variants.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 05:28:40 AM »

(D) mods are permanent downgrades that cannot be repaired like hull and armor damage.  Even some ships come with them by default, like Ill-Advised Modifcations on Mudskipper 2 and various Pather hulls.  Only restoration can fix that, which costs more than buying a new ship.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »

(D) mods are permanent downgrades that cannot be repaired like hull and armor damage.  Even some ships come with them by default, like Ill-Advised Modifcations on Mudskipper 2 and various Pather hulls.  Only restoration can fix that, which costs more than buying a new ship.

Usually it costs only slightly more than buying. Totally worth it for ships that are good when player piloted or just rare (Tempest).
Restored pather Lasher is straight better than base as SO variant (which is dominant build for Lasher anyway). Early available too (just hit some pathers) and reasonably cheap (~1.5x Lasher cost is not much).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:22:20 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »

@ TaLaR: Restoration costs vary by number of (D) mods.  If it is only one, your are right.  However, ships I recover have at least two (D) mods, often more.  Restoring heavily damaged ships can be very expensive.

Pather Lashers are nice, but I usually outgrow Lashers by the time I grab one.  Same thing with pirate Mule.  Pirate Mule is classic Starfarer Mule plus shielded holds, which is good for a hybrid, but by the time I can afford to restore it, it is obsolete.  Mudskipper 2 is fun restored.  It is a better Brawler, with better weapon and mobility system.  However, I do not need it when I can restore it.

I do restore ships I plan to pilot or absolutely need peak stats.  As for Tempest, it is relatively rare, but it functions just fine heavily damaged, and I often leave it heavily damaged to exploit the deployment discount.  Its main power is the Terminator drone, which does not care about ship stats.  Also, the main use of Tempest in my fleet is to enable auto-resolve, and if that Tempest is the only one in my fleet, I rarely deploy it except for auto-resolving.  If I have two Tempest, I might deploy the pair to take out annoying Lumen and Glimmer duos and the like.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »

I would appreciate if you stopped derailing the thread.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »

Reminder that I'm NOT suggesting that hulls with D-mods be the baseline. As Alex seems to be aiming as such, changing affix might help better communicate it to the players.

I don't read that blog as saying D-mod is baseline.  I read it as giving the player incentive to grow their colonies so they can produce a constant supply of pristine ships.  He's saying there are two factors to ship quality.  
1) Are you importing stuff from another faction?  If yes, then more d-mods.  On the other hand, if you've built up your colonies to the point of self sufficiency, then no, and there's no penalty.
2) Quality slider.  If you set your ship quality slider low, you'll also have more D-mod ships.  But if you set your ship quality slider high, you get pristine ships.

I don't see it as baseline at all.  I see it as progression.  Similarly, major factions which currently have pristine ships, will continue to do so in the next release, at least at the start of the game.  It becomes possible through damaging their infrastructure to presumably lower their production capability to the point where D-mod ships start showing up in their fleets.

Again, as long as it possible for the player to spend credits within a factor of 2 or so of the cost of the hull to remove all D-mods, I don't see D-mods being "baseline".  Given there's a bunch of variety in D-mods, and that you could have anywhere from 1-4, D-mod can't ever represent the "baseline" ship, since even within the D-mod labeling there are tiers.  A 1 D-mod ship is much better than a 4 D-mod ship.

I think the current labeling scheme is fine.
Pages: 1 [2]