Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Range & Supply Days  (Read 2478 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fuel Range & Supply Days
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »

I think it would be more useful if the fuel/day UI showed range in lightyears instead. Move fuel/day to the tooltip. People can get very good at judging distance, but cross-comparing fuel by fuel/day is too inconvenient.

Similarly, showing days left of supply instead of supplies per day would be much more useful. That's a bit harder to calculate unfortunately. I thought I'd figured it out, but apparently I deleted what I had :( What I kludged together below is mostly accurate from what I can recall.

T = total supplies
R = repair/recover cost
S = current supplies/day
M = maintenance supplies/day

If T - R > 0, days = (T - R) / M

If T - R <= 0, days = T / S

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Range & Supply Days
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »

It makes sense for fuel, which afaik depletes at a constant rate, but for supplies I find it much more useful to know my consumption as a hard number so that it can call my attention to my cargo, fuel, the fact that i forgot to mothball the battlecruiser i just scavenged, etc

Maybe it could be an option in the settings?
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:12:02 AM »

What I kludged together below is mostly accurate from what I can recall.

It's not quite a simple - the game also has to consider how much the current supply drain will drop because cargo/fuel that exceeds the capacity is used up.
To be useful it should also differentiate between stable and exceptional supply consumtion. When you pass through a corona your remaining days will suddenly drop, the UI should make obvious that's just temporary. Maybe just color the number red or something.

Btw, I made this suggestion a long time ago under the term Operation Time.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »

Fuel range is an option on the map. So “days left” or “ly left”isn’t all that useful from what we already have.

I also prefer a flat value for supplies as that makes it easier to figure usage under variable supply situations.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »

Happened to remember how to calculate days of supply left. The exact formula is:

Higher of
(supplies - total CR recovery cost - total repair cost) / (maintenance + over-capacity drain)
and
supplies / (CR recovery drain and/or maintenance + repair drain + over-capacity drain).

Since I'm here, having the number flash red for exceptional drains is a good idea, Gothars. IIRC, though, flying into a corona or other draining terrain would not cause it to suddenly drop. Since they drain CR, the days of supply would simply go down faster than actual days. Similarly, the effect of the over-cargo penalty reducing itself would be days of supply going down slower than actual days (possibly adding a few days).