Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fix Alternating Weapon Mode.  (Read 5673 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Fix Alternating Weapon Mode.
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »

This firing mode is basically un-usable by the player in a good 80% of cases by the fact that it includes weapons that cannot currently aim in the sequence, meaning you must either stay hyper-focused on keeping *all* included weapons within arc, or accept that you will be wasting flux firing into space a good chunk of the time.

So can it be fixed to where it can add or remove weapons to the firing sequence as the aiming reticle moves in or out of the individual arcs? There are quite a few weapons I'd like to use in alternating mode if it wasn't such a pain.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Fix Alternating Weapon Mode.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »

It certainly would be very appreciated if an alternating weapon group worked like linked does in the regard of only firing when it actually should. This has been a problem since... Forever? I am kind of surprised I never thought to ask for a fix.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »

I'd also like to ask, if possible, that the arcs for that weapon group stay lit or at least somewhat visible
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »

The proposed solution doesn't work for weapons on hardpoints and tracked missiles. Those are wepons you want to fire not by aiming with the tageting reticle, but with the whole hull.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 01:29:08 AM »

The proposed solution doesn't work for weapons on hardpoints and tracked missiles. Those are wepons you want to fire not by aiming with the tageting reticle, but with the whole hull.

Linked mode already has a solution for this, whatever it may be.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:07:10 AM »

Not really? Alternating mode allows you to have mutiple different missile types in one weapon group without firing them all at once. It also allows you consecutive fire, e.g. with mutiple AM blasters, where simultaneous fire would overload your system.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:21 AM »

Not really? Alternating mode allows you to have mutiple different missile types in one weapon group without firing them all at once. It also allows you consecutive fire, e.g. with mutiple AM blasters, where simultaneous fire would overload your system.

Your comment was about how hardpoints need to be aimed using the whole hull, which would cause issues if it only took aiming arcs into account. Linked weapon mode already has a solution for this as it will fire hardpoints even if the aiming reticle is not inside the arc.

What you are describing is already what alternating weapon mode does... alternates between several weapons in a group, and I'm not sure why you brought it up?

The problem with alternating right now is that if using a set of turreted weapons on alternating mode, it will cycle through all of them, even ones that cant rotate to face what is being aimed at, which means if you say...wanted to use AM blasters on turrets with differing arcs, you run the risk of wasting ammo and flux firing into space.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:19:58 AM by Gwyvern »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:45 AM »

Linked weapon mode already has a solution for this as it will fire hardpoints even if the aiming reticle is not inside the arc.

What you are describing is already what alternating weapon mode does... alternates between several weapons in a group, and I'm not sure why you brought it up?

I brought it up because some weapon laodouts need both properties, firing while not aimed, and alternating. The proposed idea would make that combination unavailable.

The problem with alternating right now is that if using a set of turreted weapons on alternating mode, it will cycle through all of them, even ones that cant rotate to face what is being aimed at, which means if you say...wanted to use AM blasters on turrets with differing arcs, you run the risk of wasting ammo and flux firing into space.

Yes, but in practice, that problem is rarer than the (potential) one I mentioned would be. Of course a third weapon mode could be introduced (aimed/alternating), but I'm not sure the added complexity would be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:37:45 AM by Gothars »

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 02:34:58 AM »

Linked weapon mode already has a solution for this as it will fire hardpoints even if the aiming reticle is not inside the arc.

I brought it up because some weapon laodouts need both properties, firing while not aimed, and alternating. The proposed idea would make that combination unavailable.

Yes, but in practice, that problem is rarer than the (potential) one I mentioned would be. Of course a third weapon mode could be introduced (aimed/alternating), but I'm not sure the added complexity would be worth it.

This is a point, though I find myself wishing I could stagger my turrets frequently, and on the flip side, have never set a missile to alternating, though I will admit this likely has something to do with my aversion to drastic missile usage all together.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:44:19 AM »

Uhm, what exactly would be the use of having staggered fire on turrets? Besides the cool looks, of course. The only thing I can think of is potentially slightly better aim.

Another issue would be that reticle dependent firing would need some tolerance, since a fast moving target often has to be outside the arc to be actually hit. Imagine you have the perfect shot lined up, but then your weapon doesn't fire because it doesn't know you would hit. In return, that would again lead to your turrets firing when you don't want them to, if a slow moving target is just outside a firing arc.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:44:57 AM »

Uhm, what exactly would be the use of having staggered fire on turrets? Besides the cool looks, of course. The only thing I can think of is potentially slightly better aim.

Better for very flux hungry weapons, and also to prevent overkill.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:13 AM »

There is a very good reason for staggered fire. For example you have 2 Needlers + 1 Maulers.
If Needlers fire in sync they are much easier to armor tank or avoid with skimmer-like systems.

Currently to get staggered autofire you have to manually fire first cycle as alternating, then let the group autofire - super inconvenient.
Of course better practical solution, especially in mods, is just to pack different(timing) but similar(range, type) weapons that can't sync at all.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »

Honestly I'd like an expansion of firing modes in general, though this is a fairly low-level request to the game.  Like having an alternating firing mode where you set the order of fire manually, so instead of firing 1-2-3-4 you fire 1+2, then 3+4, then back to 1+2.  I could probably make a whole new thread for this...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

hard points only could if the cursor is within 15 degrees of the arc, turrets if within 0, tracked missiles fire regardless, all else is ignored.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »

It would be nice to have this as a third mode - but, as noted, it fails for hardpoint weapons and guided missiles, so it certainly shouldn't replace the existing alternating mode.  And no, you can't just go "Well, just make sure your mouse is in front of the ship" for hardpoints, because some ships have omni shields, or ship systems that require a locational input.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: [1] 2