Fractal Softworks Forum
October 20, 2018, 09:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Portrait Hegemonization (10/16/18); In-dev patch notes for Starsector 0.9a (06/01/18);Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do-nothing AI.  (Read 1522 times)
Megas
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »

Cowardly AI applies to your AI-controlled ships too!  This tends to result in ships on both sides trying to encircle each other but failing, and at worst, stall until CR decays to zero.  If player does not intervene directly somehow, it is easily possible for two fleets to stalemate due to mutual cowardice.  Eliminate sometimes suppresses it well enough, sometimes not.  But it is not safe to Eliminate if the enemy is not at a disadvantage, because enemy will just kite and cower more until its friends encircle your ships and mob them.
Psycho Society
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 05:09:29 PM »

It's not the ai's job to make killing them easy. If you're used to enemies on other games that act half brain damaged and stay in one place while you slowly chip them down, you should probably rethink some things
Megas
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Rethinking things may not necessarily be good, if the solutions are few and unappealing.  It could lead to "This game sucks! I want my money back!" or less harsh posts like the OP.  After all, in that one version with Timid officers and high-powered skills, the optimal solution was wait until they run out of CR first.
lethargie
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 05:35:25 AM »

Of course, but outside of early game solution are many and appealing. It's a rewarding side effect that due to the AI player action have more effect.

Now, early game can definitely be miserable, but its not so much because of AI than because of the few choices available.

Finally, I do not say that the AI is perfect, or even impressive, but it does the job well and lead to very good medium to large engagement.
Vensalir
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »

I must say that I, too, find the AI a bit annoying on frigates. As it has already been said, it behaves reasonably well in medium and large encounters, but in small ones it is way too passive in my opinion. Also, the AI's tendency to keep the distance in reverse until CR runs out is a bit aggravating, especially when there is only one enemy ship standing. It's clear victory is impossible, why doesn't it retreat ?

I think it should be a little more daring, and perhaps try more diverse tactics. For instance, a less-capable frigate could try for strafing passes instead of going for a head-on slugging match.

Cik
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »

maybe the solution is to randomize non-officer adversaries temperaments as if they were officers?

that way not all of them would be so standoffish

though personally i never have trouble mopping up, and it seems like (for me) the moment i snap the enemy center of gravity his light support retreats regardless.
Embercloud
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »

To be frank, having an aggressive, defensive or balanced toggle for ship behaviour on the refit screen is a great idea.
Morbo513
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2018, 04:06:35 AM »

Catching them is a problem for you to solve.
Agreed, as is either fleet generally playing hard-to-get. The only things I'd wish are for 1: NPC fleets to become more aggressive (or in terms of retreating, decisive) as their fleet-wide  CR diminishes (including reserved combat ships, but not retreated ships), and 2: for the player to be given more/better tools for dictating his own fleet's disposition in combat.

To be frank, having an aggressive, defensive or balanced toggle for ship behaviour on the refit screen is a great idea.
IMO something like that should be both there and accessible from the tactical map
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:09:02 AM by Morbo513 » Logged
Linnis
Admiral

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »

The AI aggressive-level tied to officers and non officer only has default makes sense lore wise. Perhaps allow officers to toggle between an range of AI aggression levels?  Either way seems like a improvement over the current officer locked to one trait.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: