Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colony cap  (Read 6671 times)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Colony cap
« on: October 06, 2018, 01:24:18 AM »

Is there a maximum cap to the amount of colonies the player can have?

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Colony cap
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was 6. 3 waystations, 3 colonies proper.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »

Waystations were for the initial implementation with all of the overlapping circle art, which was replaced.  I thought I read three colonies (unskilled and without hired help) somewhere, but I cannot locate that.  Given the time that has passed, I would say either wait for Alex to reply or when 0.9 actually arrives.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »

There's currently a soft cap of 2, with stability penalties for going over, and you can assign an administrator to manage a colony, which makes it not count against the cap. Both the cap and the admin number can be increased through skills. Still a few related mechanics to tidy up, though.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »

Were there a lot of skills added for colony management or have you mostly modified the existing ones?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »

Offhand, I think I added a total of 3 skills (of which one has a dual purpose), and modified one existing ones. Still want to have another look at skills, though (but not for .9), so I wouldn't consider any of that "final".

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »

I see, the reason I asked was because I wanted to know the new total to compare with the new level cap.

Truthowl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:27:37 AM »

I know this is a little old now. But I have some questions relevant to this.

From skills it looks like our cap is 7. We can manage up to 4 ourselves with the 'Colony Management'x3 skill. That also gives us up to 3 admins for a total of 7. So my questions are

1) Do Waystations still work to remove 1 colony from our cap?
  1a) If it removes 1 from our cap how many waystations can we have?
2) Which is the better tasting, sherbert or vanilla ice cream?
--
Truthowl

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:14:37 AM »

Waystations are now a type of industry that increases accessibility, not a completely different kind of a colony. The cap is 4 personally and 3 administrators, but there is a way to go around the cap.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »

Waystations are now a type of industry that increases accessibility, not a completely different kind of a colony. The cap is 4 personally and 3 administrators, but there is a way to go around the cap.
One that is... like the One Ring.  It behaves like a cursed item.  Beneficial, but not without unwanted side effects.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »

How do you get around the cap??? start a colony and just abandon it? or edit a file somewhere?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »

Do administrators level up and gain skills?
I don't think I've seen them do this.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »

How do you get around the cap??? start a colony and just abandon it? or edit a file somewhere?
Assign an Alpha-grade AI as the colony administrator.

Using Alphas to boost industries seems to be safe (aside from having to bribe Hegemony inspection fleets), at least based on my experiences so far.  Setting one as an administrator can, apparently, have some problems.  I haven't done it yet, so I don't know how that goes.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »

Using Alphas to boost industries seems to be safe (aside from having to bribe Hegemony inspection fleets), at least based on my experiences so far.  Setting one as an administrator can, apparently, have some problems.  I haven't done it yet, so I don't know how that goes.
Like sticky cursed items from D&D-like games, Alpha cores do not want to be removed after they govern it long enough.  If you force its removal after that point, you gain Rogue AI market condition (I do not know what that does), and you do not get the core back.  Not a problem if you never want to remove the core and you can deal with inspection fleets.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 11:03:16 AM »

@Serenitis
No. The best you can do is to look for them and hope you'll eventually find one that's more skilled.
@Wyvern
Oh, come on! You spoiled it.
Pages: [1] 2