Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Once More, with Feeling  (Read 31571 times)

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Once More, with Feeling
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »

Obviously the Diktat super-fleet was a bug.
And here I was thinking that the Dickersons were going to integrated in the vanilla...

It wasn't even that bad, it was like what, 8 capitals (not counting tankers)? This fleet could be taken out mid-late game without too much trouble.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:49 AM »

Most ships are officerless too.

Chaos Blade

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2018, 04:08:01 AM »

But I though bombardments were impossible to do stealthily. How can you  hide a galactic war crime, especially from those that got bombed?

Probably a combination of it not being in the core worlds and your faction being a newcomer that doesn't have the same importance in the collective consciousness of the Sector. Plus, you know, you expect this sort of thing from the Diktat, everyone knows they blew up Opis! What can you do? Gotta live with them somehow. But when some upstart like you does it, it's shocking and a war crime.

(I'm imagining the player's character saying the last line with air quotes, while complaining about the unfairness of life, at a bar somewhere, to a disinterested audience of half-drunk spacers.)

Well, there should be an option of the diktat hiring some merc to do the dirty deed, with the agent doing the hiring claiming to be a luddite, which reminds me, I'd love for there to be a few neutral systems where mecs gravitate towards and where the factions hire deniable assets and/or engage in espionage and diplomacy

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »

I very much like this simplification! If it is simple enough is something you'll certainly get plenty feedback on, after release.

A question: why does the sum of the income of all markets surpass the total market value significantly? I'd think the total value were supposed to be equivalent to the sum.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

A question: why does the sum of the income of all markets surpass the total market value significantly? I'd think the total value were supposed to be equivalent to the sum.

Right now, most colonies are pretty stable, and that gives an income bonus, which also includes exports. At stability 10, it's +50%, which - looking at the Food screenshot - just about covers the difference. So I suppose the market value represents the total credits to be had assuming an average amount of bribery and corruption :)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2018, 03:16:04 AM »

A bit late here, and i kind of admit the other economy blogposts kind of made me skim over with a bit of a 'i'll see when i play it', but minus the credits of things, is setting up cheap colonies for fleet support feasible? I just want an infinite supply of fuel and supplies to start. :P I'll worry about global monopoly /after/ i'm done scurrying contract to contract.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:17:49 AM by Cosmitz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:31 PM »

This is actually on my list of things to test out, but I would definitely not expect an "infinite supply" to be easy to acquire :) That said, setting up a colony that gives you a modest monthly income - which you can spend on fuel, supplies, or whatever else strikes your fancy - is not too difficult.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »

Thanks, that was my query per se, in the last few versions the start was relatively stuttery if you didn't fully master the art of frigate-to-frigate combat. If there is a relatively quick enough way to get to a point of self-susteinability with a small enough raiding fleet and not be tied down to just offing a million pirates before you can expand scope into the other areas of the game without worrying about ending up in a dead-end situation, that's all good.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »

Ah, gotcha. That should be much better on all fronts! You've got a 15,000 credit monthly stipend for the first couple of cycles, and can also start with a larger fleet, either scavenging or fighting focused.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »

I have been playing this game for literal years and tbh I am probably gonna pick the start that opts out of the single frigate start.  It was a nifty experience the first few times, but it outstays its welcome after half a decade and the eternal duel Starter Wolf vs *** Hound is not the real meat of the game.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »

Personally i just made a template character, got it to a good point, didn't apply any skill points or affected any standings, and used it as a jumping off point for all the other characters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]