Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: [0.96-RC8] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.9.12 [5/12/23]  (Read 587246 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.4.2 [07/1/19]
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »

I used to use the bigram guns before the fire rate nerf...then they were good for pressure...nowadays the refire rate isnt  high enough to keep the opfor shields up, and there are generally better alternatives.

That being said, not everything in the game *has* to be balanced.  Bigrams pair well with other systems that can shoot out past 1200+, especially if you have an extra spot to fill.  Works well  combined with extreme ranged combos like Maegara rails/Guass + zone scorcher/ sledge cannon/Orion Artillery...the bigrams will start dealing full damage pretty quickly. If youre fortunate enough to find some of those 30 point Great House railguns using frag becomes a real option.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:42:21 AM by grinningsphinx »

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »

First, I am really big fan of this mod, and had a lot of fun using Reparation ships only (when they became available, of course). The trouble is, I'm really gimped for Blueprints. I never got the package with multiple craft/weapons in it, and it took a lot of time raiding the stations to infinity and beyond to get anything. If that is how it works, ok. The questions is, can we even get "generic society" blueprints? Those looked like a ton of fun, but I never got them.

Currently no, the generic and pirate blueprints are entirely unobtainable, letting the player grab those from indies/pirates isn't something I'm innately against but the concept always seemed kind of awkward whenever I think about implementing it.

As for the regular blueprints, raiding for them will leave you at the mercy of RNG, as there are quite a few blueprints to be had. it is more reliable to buy them, as they are regularly sold at ARS military markets. (And you don't even need a specific rep to buy them, you just need access to the military market)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:18:45 PM by Gwyvern »

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2019, 04:20:35 AM »

My humble opinion, player should be able to acquire the generic models, as those are really effective for early game, but certainly aren't overpowered.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2019, 05:27:27 AM »

What are you going to do with blueprints early game? You cant use them without a decent colony :V

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »

Generic is quite cheap, and would work even with smaller colonies. If you find world extremely rich in ore, you do mine on size 3, refinery on 4 and get heavy industry on 5. Sure, not as good as real thing, but can keep raids away as long as you need.

But, honestly, I want it because generic stuff is currently rarer than the "Blue Bloods".

And if I may ask one more thing, is there a plan to add support crafts, like tanker, freighter and troop transport. You are obviously very good at this, and I have no right to tell you what to do, so don't see these as demands or insults, I'm just trying to get better understanding of your idea.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »

The preview image of the upcoming sprite rework already includes a tanker, a freighter, and an ARS buffalo skin.

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:42 AM »

I'm sorry, I did not see the picture until now. There will be no dedicated troop transport, "Salvage Gantry" and exploration vessel? I did notice that limited crew capacity is a theme, so I guess faction might not use troop transports in the first place.

Edit: I ask because I like doing "one faction only" ships, and the game ruins it with all the Prometheans. I'd be happy to play with this factions ships again, even if I always end up hostile to them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:29:54 AM by WolfPriest »

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2019, 05:22:15 AM »

I'm sorry, I did not see the picture until now. There will be no dedicated troop transport, "Salvage Gantry" and exploration vessel? I did notice that limited crew capacity is a theme, so I guess faction might not use troop transports in the first place.

Edit: I ask because I like doing "one faction only" ships, and the game ruins it with all the Prometheans. I'd be happy to play with this factions ships again, even if I always end up hostile to them.

More that the faction doesn't do full scale invasions, making troop transports a bit useless. No dedicated salvage gantry, as the vanilla one suits them just fine, and if you've noticed, every single ship in the lineup has a hyperspace range of at *least* 30 LY, so...why would they need dedicated exploration ships?

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »

I feel kinda bad for making this back-and-forth, but I already did, and it gets your mod to the top, and I might as well provide some useful feedback.
I used bit more than a half of ships, all except carriers, Tatcher, Burke and King. I must say, Lyons/McNamara combo (as support/tank respectively) is amazing. I used Alastair as my flagship, it is quite underwhelming, but gets the job done. It's only capital ship I have driven, so I'm not sure how it compares. Walsh is an absolute beast of efficiency. Super cheap ship, and you can get it even cheaper as generic, or super fast as exodus. Sherman is nice number-booster in the early game, it will not slow down or weaken your fleet before the cruisers take over. Victoria takes the same thing further, and can go up against anything except star-station and survive, but those just erase her. Raid is very weird niche. It's too large for frigate, and too small for destroyer. Good early game flagship and frigate hunter, but quickly loses the use when cruisers show up, and has nothing more to offer, so becomes obsolete before the Sherman, that is weaker. I actually got Caswell blueprint, but I already had Lyons production at that point, so I failed to find a niche for it.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:05 PM »

Unfortunately the current meta over-favors large ships before small ones, so that isn't entirely surprising. Otherwise, the Caswell is a destroyer with higher burn and faster combat speeds than the Lyons, and its numerous small slots with wide arcs allow it to either spec into being a combat carrier, or become a platform from which to mulch fighters and missiles. Also, while the Jameson is the only carrier the ARS has with an actual carrier system, the Caswell's mines can greatly assist in getting bomber runs and missile volleys through enemy PD screens by giving them more things to shoot at, while they Lyons is basically just a brick.

Of course all this information is based on the dev build, so your current experience may differ.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:14:52 PM by Gwyvern »

Stuffwriter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »

It's probably a tad late, but I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I personally feel that LoA, at least compared to other faction mods, suffer from a frustrating identity.

A few examples of mod factions to demonstrate my point:

- Interstellar Imperium ships are ridiculously customizable, slow, and well protected, but flux-starved.

- Diable Avionics have powerful ship systems, good fighter screens, and versatile weapons. Their capital ships are extremely mobile for their size as well

- Blackrock ships are super mobile, have impressive ship systems, and excel at burst damage. They don't do so great in sustained combat though

- Shadowyards have weak weapons, decent defenses, and decent flux stats, but their ships are all built for very specific roles so their fleets really shine in tandem

- SCY ships have crap armor and shields, are relatively slow, and have poor flux dissipation. What they excel at but have obscene burst damage and maximum flux.

- Legacy of Arkgeneisis ships have poor flux stats, poor armor, decent mobility, and weak ship systems. Their ships are extremely fragile and not particularly threatening.

I feel like the faction is held back by a strong desire to not make them overpowered. What is the faction... good at? All the other factions have give and take, push and pull. Legacy ships have okay mobility, but paper armor, laughable shields, mediocre flux stats, specialized but not hugely effective weapons, not particularly powerful ship systems... It's like the stat sliders on the ships are messed up. If you lose armor, flux stats, and shields (all hugely important), then the payoff should be worth it. It doesn't feel like LoA provide that payoff, at least to me. It's very difficult to make a fleet that feels threatening.

I know you've expressed a desire to point out that LoA ships are not meant to fly without vanilla ships supporting them, but I wonder why you'd push for that. Every other mod faction does just well on it's own, and i usually try to stick with their unique fighters/weapons to get a feel for the faction as a whole. I really like the LoA frigates and destroyers a lot; they feel good to fly and are well designed. However, I feel that their line ships are super lackluster. It's very hard to get 10 pounds of LoA capital ship to fight like 10 pounds of basically anything else.

I love the sprite work you've done for this faction recently. The ships look fantastic. It seems like you care a lot about building a good mod, and I respect that a lot. I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but I'm trying to be honest.

I have a couple suggestions if you're willing to hear them:

- Give LoA powerful ship systems to compensate for their poor stats. The ships with the front-mounted long-distance explosive missiles are a good opportunity here. Give those missiles some serious punch. Right now, they're not particularly impressive.

- Give LoA ships a lot of in-combat mobility, like high top speed while over 5% flux. This way, their poor armor and shields would make sense. The faction would have a clear weakness: long distance engagements

- If LoA ships had very short combat operating times, it would create opportunities to increase their stats without feeling like you're making them overpowered.

- Give LoA ships an identity... perhaps as carrier-killers. The meta is big on carriers at the moment, so why not give the LoA ships some built-in hull mods that make them more effective at the task? Perhaps resistance to fighter damage, powerful PD, or ship systems that scramble them somehow.

- Alternatively, LoA could be built to be a short-range faction with advantages against long-range enemies. Perhaps all LoA have a built-in sensor scrambler that reduces enemy weapon range. Maybe any weapon longer than a certain range does greatly reduced damage to them. (admittedly hard to implement)

- If LoA are meant to be self-sufficient raiders, give them campaign stats more in line with this. Low maintenance, low fuel consumption, low sensor signature, powerful sensors, resistance to storms. Let an LoA player bring more tonnage for less money than other factions. If they are already nudged this direction, nudge them more.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:31:48 PM by Stuffwriter »

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2019, 01:49:27 AM »

Their niche is long-ranged mobile combat. Some of them, namely Victoria and Sherman, are quite survivable. Capital ship goes over 160, and I got more than 290 on some frigates. Their mobility is more than decent, it's best in game. They are also kings of early game. Duke is also superior "fighter" even against wanzers.

Edit:
I think we really REALLY don't need another short-range faction. They are already completely self-sufficient in early game, if you gave at least one salvage rig. In the late game, no, but then again, entire fleet is made up of cruisers.
Just try fleet of Lyons/McNamara ships, with all the fighter slots filled with Dukes. You will get cheaper and more mobile version of Eagle/Falcon combo, and you will not be disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:08:24 AM by WolfPriest »

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2019, 05:02:25 AM »

Well you're certainly right that the lineup as a whole has been suffering from an identity crisis. Thankfully I've put in the hours of testing to figure out what it is, and have hopefully come up with a solution that will satisfy nobody! (Except myself, of course)

Instead of going on a long tirade about it, I'll just say for now that when the sprite rework was done, and the fleet testing started, I could not get the faction to lose a fair fight, even when piloting the opposition manually. This went on for a week and three rounds of faction wide nerfs (leaving the ships all feeling individually quite weak) before I finally flipped the table and completely re-evaluated what I wanted out of the faction.

Thankfully, they haven't changed -too- much, and I'm definitely taking pages from a fair number of books here, but I'm liking how things are shaping up. Without making a bullet list of every change, one of their primary selling points from here on is going to be how much spare OP they have. However, unlike the Imperium with its dramatic retrofit packages, you are encouraged to spend this OP in a more granular fashion, converting one or more of the various weaknesses of a given hull (which still exist) into strengths.

There will still be more tests to do before everything is settled, but even with this complete overhaul, the ARS is still extremely strong in a fleet setting, enough that I've had to give all the ships slightly increased deployment to cut down on the number of hulls that can be fielded in any given engagement. In a 1v1 scenario, the increased deployment won't really matter, being a mere 1/2/3/4 based on hullsize, but when fielding an entire fleet, it means you'll have to give up a ship or two.

Bleh, this post reads like a ramble, but really there is going to be a lot to unpack with this coming update, a lot more than was originally planned, hopefully it squashes some long-standing problems with the faction for good, and makes them more enjoyable for everyone.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 05:04:15 AM by Gwyvern »

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2019, 06:50:37 AM »

I've had to give all the ships slightly increased deployment to cut down on the number of hulls that can be fielded in any given engagement.

:'(

Stuffwriter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2019, 07:10:26 AM »

On paper, the LoA ships don't seem very good. If you're saying they were overpowered, it feels like you're aghast that I insist the sky is blue.

How did some of those fights play out? Did you test against vanilla ships, other mods, or both?

I did a lot of my testing and simulations in 1v1 scenarios. Maybe that was why?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50