Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conversion Mod  (Read 2012 times)

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
Conversion Mod
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:23:55 AM »

I was hoping to try a total conversion but have no idea how to remove all the ingame ships/planets and cargo so I can start adding things one at a time and I was wondering if anyone had or could do something similar. A mod to get rid of everything in game that I can then Drag and drop any files I need into the mod. 
I have no experience with removing things.  So far I can add ships, modified systems/weapons, hullmods.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:17 PM »

In your mod_info.json file use the "Replace" element to designate files to not load from vanilla content

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:23:20 AM »

so if i was to change Total Conversion to true.  Would that then not load any vanilla files?? This is my mod.info file atm

Spoiler
{
     "id":"Stargate Mod", # internal id
   "name":"Stargate Mod", # displayed to the player
   "author":"Joe 'Joe130794' Frearson",
   "version":"Demo",
   "description":"Stargate Mod currently in progress",
   "gameVersion":"0.65a",
   "totalConversion":"false",
   "utility":"false",
}
[close]

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »

so if i was to change Total Conversion to true.  Would that then not load any vanilla files?? This is my mod.info file atm
Quote from: Starsector Wiki https://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Mod_Info.json_Overview#Total_Conversion
If set to "true" then no other mods will be loaded alongside it, excepting utility mods. The game will also skip loading ship variants that refer to hull ids that no longer exist (i.e. if the total conversion replaces ship_data.csv with a new ship set). Defaults to "false"

So you should incidentally set Total Conversion to True because it is a total conversion and setting it will stop any non-utility mods from loading.  Which is a good thing because they expect to find vanilla and would cause all sorts of chaos ;)
The Replace field is the one that will prevent vanilla assets from being loaded (regardless of whether Total Conversion is True although common sense dictates they would practically both be used together)

Example below, although note that it won't work right out of the box since faction files, tutorials and other things will be looking for these now missing ships.  Total conversions are a lot of work 
Spoiler
{
    "id":"Stargate Mod", # internal id
   "name":"Stargate Mod", # displayed to the player
   "author":"Joe 'Joe130794' Frearson",
   "version":"Demo",
   "description":"Stargate Mod currently in progress",
   "gameVersion":"0.8",
   "totalConversion":"true",
   "utility":"false",
   "replace":["ship_data.csv"]
}