Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what linux distros are people here running?  (Read 9029 times)

Lorant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
what linux distros are people here running?
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:03:00 AM »

i haven't really explored what's out there so i've just been running ubuntu for a year now and it's worked fine for my generic undergrad routine. curious what you more informed folks than myself out there are using and for what

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: what linux distros are people here running?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Mint, from a USB stick.

At least, whenever I absolutely must have Linux for some reason. Otherwise I prefer Win7.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »

I dualboot to Ubuntu, just for the reason it is most widely used and therefore has more active support forums. I have grown tired of problems that crop up with bleeding edge or nonstandard distros and all the wasted time, while helps learning of Linux does not not help me get much work done.
I have wrecked far more systems than I can count, so I have grown quite cautions and run much in virtual machine.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

IIRC I started with Ubuntu 14.04 because that was the distro with the "good for beginners" reputation. Never felt any particular reason to switch.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »

I’m on Debian purely because I got to Linux via the raspberry pi, which kinda ‘ships’ with a debian based OS.

I quite like it.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

amram

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

I run a vm with mint for class work and have a pi that I dabble with once in a while running rasbian(debian based).

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »

I'm currently dual-booting Solus. I was looking for a rolling release with frequently updated, stable packages (so no Debian Sid), and Solus was the top-rated rolling release distribution at the time. It's young and still a little rough around the edges, but it's a decent enough OS.

I do miss Debian's packages, though. Nearly every source repository will list dependencies under Debian's (and possibly Fedora's) package names. When a project depends on 20+ libraries and you have to manually search the package lists for whatever the Solus maintainers decided to call each one, it can add hours to the process of getting even simple projects to a compilable state. *cough* #firstworldproblems

I also use WSL (Bash on Windows, woo) and Linux Mint in a VM when I need to test things and am feeling too lazy to reboot. Mint's alright, but it has a lot of the clutter that caused me to start disliking Ubuntu.

I’m on Debian purely because I got to Linux via the raspberry pi, which kinda ‘ships’ with a debian based OS.

I quite like it.

Not going to lie, even though it's incredibly barebones, out of all the flavors of Linux I've tried Raspbian remains my favorite. And not just because I was stuck using it for a few months and developed Stockholm Syndrome. ;)

It was designed to run on barebones hardware, so it lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the more advanced distros. I personally like that it only does what I tell it to, when I tell it (looking at you, Ubuntu), while remaining simple to setup and modify (looking at you, <insert "minimal" distro here>).

Reth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »

Ubuntu - mostly because "it just works", even tough i think default ubuntu is borderline bloatware (there are ways to remove the bloat tough) . And i have still a lot of freedom and can replace the things that annoy me very easily (and also break it very easily - not ubuntu specific, but i have a deep seated fear of touching anything related to xorg). It also helps that it is very popular and most software released for linux is sure to be working on ubuntu with very little effort from my side.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:56:29 PM by Reth »

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »

I have fun trying a few flabours and I ran Linux Mint for a LONG time but, for development's sake and games I've largely forgone Linux save for a few special cases (IE crap-tops, project boxes, etc etc)

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »

I'm on Mint, since i think 2015. No Dual Boot, just Linux.

Before that i was dualbooting Win7 / Ubuntu or derived for a while.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »

I'm currently dual-booting Solus. I was looking for a rolling release with frequently updated, stable packages (so no Debian Sid), and Solus was the top-rated rolling release distribution at the time. It's young and still a little rough around the edges, but it's a decent enough OS.

Dual booting with Solus atm also. It has a pretty crazy boot time and is otherwise a pretty tight OS.

ElementaryOS might be worth a look if you're into that kind of look.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »

Armbian on my little Cubieboard. On the PC it's only Windows. Though I did run Arch, Debian, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Crunchbang and a couple of others before.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »

Manjaro Linux with XFCE for me. Capable enough to do anything on my main box, lightweight enough to be snappy on my ancient Core 2 era Thinkpad. Highly recommend. If you have any issues with the rolling release model or the little Arch-linux oddities, the Arch wiki and Manjaro documentation are top notch.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 12:56:51 AM »

New computer; new distro.

Debian's model was just not working with my specific suite of hardware; for some reason I couldn't get the monitor and GPU to play nice together on 64-bit OS install (but fine on 32-bit for some reason; drivers, kernels - who knows.).

I'm sure there will ultimately be a solution - but running with Ubuntu 18.04 now - which is probably about right for my use case. I like the little beaver thing - it's cute.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

tzuridis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »

GalliumOS on a Chromebook. Starsector actually plays amazingly well, no faction mods however.
Pages: [1] 2