Fractal Softworks Forum
October 20, 2018, 09:22:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Portrait Hegemonization (10/16/18); In-dev patch notes for Starsector 0.9a (06/01/18);Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what linux distros are people here running?  (Read 349 times)
Lorant
Ensign

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:03:00 AM »

i haven't really explored what's out there so i've just been running ubuntu for a year now and it's worked fine for my generic undergrad routine. curious what you more informed folks than myself out there are using and for what
Shrugger
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Mint, from a USB stick.

At least, whenever I absolutely must have Linux for some reason. Otherwise I prefer Win7.
Bastion.Systems
Captain

Special Circumstances LCU

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »

I dualboot to Ubuntu, just for the reason it is most widely used and therefore has more active support forums. I have grown tired of problems that crop up with bleeding edge or nonstandard distros and all the wasted time, while helps learning of Linux does not not help me get much work done.
I have wrecked far more systems than I can count, so I have grown quite cautions and run much in virtual machine.
Histidine
Admiral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

IIRC I started with Ubuntu 14.04 because that was the distro with the "good for beginners" reputation. Never felt any particular reason to switch.

mendonca
Global Moderator
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »

I’m on Debian purely because I got to Linux via the raspberry pi, which kinda ‘ships’ with a debian based OS.

I quite like it.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"
amram
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

I run a vm with mint for class work and have a pi that I dabble with once in a while running rasbian(debian based).
LazyWizard
Global Moderator
Admiral

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »

I'm currently dual-booting Solus. I was looking for a rolling release with frequently updated, stable packages (so no Debian Sid), and Solus was the top-rated rolling release distribution at the time. It's young and still a little rough around the edges, but it's a decent enough OS.

I do miss Debian's packages, though. Nearly every source repository will list dependencies under Debian's (and possibly Fedora's) package names. When a project depends on 20+ libraries and you have to manually search the package lists for whatever the Solus maintainers decided to call each one, it can add hours to the process of getting even simple projects to a compilable state. *cough* #firstworldproblems

I also use WSL (Bash on Windows, woo) and Linux Mint in a VM when I need to test things and am feeling too lazy to reboot. Mint's alright, but it has a lot of the clutter that caused me to start disliking Ubuntu.

I’m on Debian purely because I got to Linux via the raspberry pi, which kinda ‘ships’ with a debian based OS.

I quite like it.

Not going to lie, even though it's incredibly barebones, out of all the flavors of Linux I've tried Raspbian remains my favorite. And not just because I was stuck using it for a few months and developed Stockholm Syndrome. Wink

It was designed to run on barebones hardware, so it lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the more advanced distros. I personally like that it only does what I tell it to, when I tell it (looking at you, Ubuntu), while remaining simple to setup and modify (looking at you, <insert "minimal" distro here>).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: