Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drive Field Disruption  (Read 2904 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Drive Field Disruption
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:45:37 PM »

How do fleets force other fleets into fights? Why do AI fleets take evasive action when you overlap them? I suggest Drive Field Disruption.

When two fleets get too close, they disrupt each other's drive fields, bringing them to a halt. This can be easily simulated in-game with a "terrain" that greatly reduces max speed. Since fleets usually only overlap when they are trying to intercept each other anyways, this would basically just be flavor.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Drive Field Disruption
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »

When the player intercepts an NPC fleet or vice-versa, they won't be able to see the terrain because they're stuck in the encounter dialog. So the main effect of this would probably to be an annoyance when fleets happen to be passing by each other.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:23:09 AM »

Passive Interdiction spam-lite.  No thanks.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »

This sounds like something for the sake of lore.  On top of that's it's a bad idea just running into a friendly fleet (especially around jump points) and grinding to a halt for no particular reason.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:33:02 AM »

I think of it as, the fleets are WAY WAY WAY smaller than they appear (so are the planets, asteroids, etc) on the main view.
As such, the bubbles and so on are easy to avoid when navigating, and the course corrections required are trivial to fix.

Forced contact is by interdiction pulse type mechanic, involving phasing your own drive field to specifically cancel out the enemy's drive field, allowing you to force a confrontation.

Destroy enemy ships, they can't disrupt your drives.
Get far enough away, you can, at least for a short time, modulate your own drive fields to bypass the interference. (Too close, and it just breaks in general)

No need for game level mechanic changes, just explain the current mechanics.
Otherwise I would have wanted Explosive and Kinetic damage to have inverted effects on shield and armor. Kinetic to pierce armor, explosive to deal more general damage that the shield has to block all of it. Instead, I decided that Shields struggle with pinpoint defense, and are better at area (explosive) effects, while armor is reactive, so explosives, which strip larger areas, are better, while kinetic is just deflected.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »

Sorry all, I've been distracted the last few days and didn't think this through. Guess I had to meet my quarterly ****post quota. :P

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »

Meh. Bad suggestions that cause discussion are better than no suggestions at all.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »

Even though we have Interdiction Pulse ability, it is impractical for the player to use for catching enemies.  Turns off Sustained Burn, long windup, too easy for enemy to dodge, and hurts reputation if non-hostiles are in the way.  Even if you ping the enemy, you probably need to Emergency Burn to catch up, which eats too many resources and blocks Sustained Burn even longer.  Sustained Burn takes too long to reactivate before the enemy fleet regains use of Emergency Burn.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »

Just like transverse I won't mind if players got an upgrade or alternate ability to slow down other fleets.