Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Cargo/Support Hulls  (Read 12380 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Cargo/Support Hulls
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »

Space shoot em up mode could really be just a series of missions with progression. Story and stuff via text and choices between fights.

I would actually +1 the ability to "join" an AI faction as a Captain (and not an independent commissioned officer). You get paid less than independent captain breaking-even point, but make up the difference in pay in faction relations and can spend faction relations as a resource at military markets for all your ship maintaining/upgrade needs, and the faction you're working for is obligated to keep giving you contracts to work (and reimburse you in fuel & supplies for each)

so you can forgo the ability to get rich off your combat in exchange for a path to consistently upgrade your ship/fleet without costing $$$
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »

Quick frigate spam is pretty easy.  They aren't going to take out any capitals, but if you've got a large and high quality frigate force (ideal of course being something like a tempest but hardly the only thing), you can deploy  a swarm of them at the start of a fight and have them chase around other frigates on the edge of a fight (you do need to command them carefully though).  After you've picked off enough targets you can call them back while sending in the bigger guns to mop up.

Are 10 frigates even worth calling spam? And you can't get more officers, while doing this much already prevents you from having larger ships with officers.
Without being at least able to reallocate officers in pre-deployment, I don't see a point.

Same officer considerations prevent any tactics other than single big deployment + optional reserve/forward (player piloted Afflictor/etc) from being viable.
1. Yes i'd call it spam given it's a significant number and they can easily swarm down ships.
2. By command I meant giving them proper orders to group them and select targets, not using officers.  It works fine without officers, and there is an inherent problem with putting officers on fragile ships.
3. The whole point is that it's viable, not optimal.  I think everyone here is well aware of what's optimal at this point.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »

Rare weapons are much less rare if you take a commission - not guaranteed every time, but if you keep an eye out at friendly commissioned military bases you can get a nice pile of railguns. Tritach sometimes (~50%?) carries Tachyon Lances if there is a Paragon for sale as well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »

Commission helps, but not enough.  Ideally you want the best of all techs, but no one faction has them all.  Plus, taking commission can hurt it other ways.  High-tech has some gems (like quad lance Paragon), but I primarily use midline with few of the best of low-tech and high-tech.

Don't forget energy weapons also lost extra dmg at high flux and then weren't rebalanced iirc.
They were. I think Plasma Cannon was changed the most, but others mostly just got a small damage boost.
Most beams got more range and/or less OP cost.  The rest got about +25% damage.  Pulse lasers got around +30-40% more.  Mining blaster got ripped off with less.  It used to compete with pulse laser, but now it is trash except for Hyperion.  Plasma cannon was not changed at first, then it got passthrough and its stats scaled upward, but now with weaker skills, plasma cannon is mostly unusable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]