Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: White Flashing Graphics Glitch  (Read 2781 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
White Flashing Graphics Glitch
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »

So, for about a month now I've been getting white flashes appearing on my screen while playing Starsector.  They appear as any size or shape of rectangle, from small squares to long thin lines going vertically across my screen, and multiple can appear at once, but they only last for a frame or two before disappearing.  This really started to become a problem partway into a game of mine, and happened rarely (if any at all) during the first few cycles.  I'd like to capture video of it, but the problem seems to elude me when I start recording.

I should add that I'm only running two mods - Lazylib and Console Commands - so this is either a GPU issue or something with Starsector.  I have a GTX 1070, an i7 6700k (neither OC'd) and 16 GB of ram, giving Starsector 8 GB of it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:37:51 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: White Flashing Graphics Glitch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »

They appear as any size or shape of rectangle, from small squares to long thin lines going vertically across my screen,

Only rectangles, or do you have sprites flashing as well? Besides the limitation to rectangles, this sounds a lot like an issue I and some other are having since... like, three versions ago. Any attempt at tracking it down has met with failure, though.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »

Yeah :(

Does it happen everywhere, or in particular screens/parts of the game?

Do you have other software running? You did mention that the issue seems to be affected by running video capture software; other stuff that's similar could potentially be contributing to/causing it, too.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:37:15 AM »

Only rectangles, or do you have sprites flashing as well? Besides the limitation to rectangles, this sounds a lot like an issue I and some other are having since... like, three versions ago. Any attempt at tracking it down has met with failure, though.
Just rectangles.  Never saw a sprite flash.  But the rectangle can sometimes literally be my entire screen (which is fairly disorienting).

Yeah :(

Does it happen everywhere, or in particular screens/parts of the game?

Do you have other software running? You did mention that the issue seems to be affected by running video capture software; other stuff that's similar could potentially be contributing to/causing it, too.
Happens exceedingly often while in the campaign map - while moving around, going through dialog options, in port going through my storage, refitting ships, the whole shebang.  Happens very rarely, if ever at all, while in battle.  Starts cropping up maybe 5 minutes after I start, and comes in bursts - a few seconds where the white rectangles flash up often, and then nothing for a few minutes.

The capture software is NVIDIA Shadowplay, so it's directly linked up with my GPU.  It could be my graphics card, that's true.  I only remember getting this issue when moving to my desktop a couple years back.  I suppose I can try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »

I should add that I'm only running two mods - Lazylib and Console Commands

Does the problem persist if the console mod is disabled? The console does some OpenGL setup even before it's been opened, and it's possible I messed up initialization somewhere and left a flag enabled that Alex doesn't always unset before his own rendering.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:06:34 PM by LazyWizard »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »

Does the problem persist if the console mod is disabled? The console does some OpenGL setup even before it's been opened, and it's possible I messed up initialization somewhere and left a flag enabled that Alex doesn't always unset before his own rendering.
So I've just played for an hour or so and then let the game idle for more time while in campaign view.  Saw the white flashes at near the end of the process, though significantly fewer than when I run with LazyLib and Console Commands enabled.  Still there though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:20:32 PM by The Soldier »