Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Terrain Effects from Alex's Twitter  (Read 4338 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
New Terrain Effects from Alex's Twitter
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

Storm Riding:
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1041069309257285632

Get a speed boost by catching a storm the right way. Storms no longer slow down fleets.

Asteroid Impacts:
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1041420462486642688

Asteroid fields/belts also no longer slow down fleets, instead have impacts that can knock a fleet off course.

The asteroids flying off into the unknown looks pretty corny to me. I would prefer it if they just blew up.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: New Terrain Effects from Alex's Twitter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

The asteriod bounce effect makes it look like your fleet is shooting out asteriods
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »

The asteriod bounce effect makes it look like your fleet is shooting out asteriods
Mmm, drive bubble ping-pong.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »

The asteroid one is really goofy in my opinion, and it seems odd that the entire fleet is being reflected as if there is one large shield around it, instead of being only one ship in a group that has slightly been pushed away. Also it seems that it will be a pain when exploring systems with rings, especially when searching for a specific derelict.

It just seems like an annoyance to be completely honest, but I can't tell until I try it.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

As per the twitter comments regarding asteroids;
- Emergency Burn negates chance of impact 
- Larger fleets are hit harder

So this is an extra way for small fleets to juke larger fleets, as well as providing an incentive to use smaller fleets when performing a lot of exploration / survey tasks.  An excellent addition to the game

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 10:30:51 PM »

Yeah, I'm really not sold on the goofy "boop" effect. It doesn't reflect the reality at all and looks kind of cartoonishly silly. I mean, the fleet can fly around a planet without issue but will bump into every asteroid of a belt? Why can't they go around? Why is there a belt if the fleets flying through for hundred/thousands of cycles kept bumping asteroids all over the place? Anyway at the very least I hope the effect is tweakable because I have belts in my mods that are more dust than asteroids, with a very low density of solid objects. It would be even more sillier if the fleet was stopped every few SU and spawned an asteroid out of nowhere.

On the other hand if the effect was specific to special "high density asteroid fields" I would agree with it more. Or even better, there could be impacts with high velocity objects when flying in the accression disk of a black hole that could knock you off course! In that context it would make more sense to get hit by fast movers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:39:30 PM by Tartiflette »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »

From Twitter:
I did add an explosion glow (to mask the asteroid spawning, and to just further sell what's happening) and made the resulting asteroid smaller, so it doesn't look quite the same size as the ones in the field.

I think it's pretty cool to not have an indirect "your speed is slower in an asteroid field" debuff but to actually see what is happening! Which is, asteroids colliding with your drive field, btw, i.e. that bubble of warped space-time around your fleet.

Concerning the storm riding, I think it's great. A situational factor, that can be either a barrier (if you're low on supplies) or a boost (low on time/fuel). The only "downside" is that now, with normal storms replaced, we still only have three terrain types in hyperspace. A bit more variety would help to keep me at my screen during long travels.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »

It looks like the fleet spits out rocks at random instead of bumping into asteroids.  It looks stupid.

Storm riding looks good.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »

Hey Alex, can we get a gif with the improved asteroid collisions you mentioned? Maybe people will like it better.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

Hey Alex, can we get a gif with the improved asteroid collisions you mentioned? Maybe people will like it better.
It's not so much "collisions" rather from the looks of it the game determines a random time at which you "hit" an asteroid while in an asteroid field, at which point the game will spawn an asteroid from flying out from the middle of your fleet as well as slow down the fleet.  At least, that's what I'm getting from the resulting tweets.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.