Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Ballistic as beam" projectiles fired from MIRVs can sometimes pierce shields  (Read 2340 times)

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile

Specifically it happens when the MIRV triggers while close to the target's shield. The projectile will travel a ways through the shield and if it isn't a 360 shield and the ship is small enough, potentially deal damage on the other side. Doesn't happen with an equivalent projectile that uses normal projectiles based on sprites, and doesn't happen firing the ballistic-as-beam projectile from a normal weapon. Image below demonstrating the effect. Tested using only my mod and a required library mod so I don't think that's the problem.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

Based on experiments me and Nicke have performed for some classified shenanigans I believe I know why.

Ballistic As Beam projectiles appear to have a minimum arming distance, before traveling which they don't appear to posses any kind of collision. It's possible they are crossing the shield during the span of this distance before striking their target.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile

Yeah, that seems to be what's happening. Only happens with MIRVs though, a normal weapon firing identical projectiles will stop immediately on hitting shields, even if the ship is mashing itself against the other ship's shields and the barrels are inside them.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the report! Hmm, not sure why this might be.

You can work around this by using regular ballistic, right? Since the visuals iirc would be the same?

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

Thanks for the report! Hmm, not sure why this might be.

You can work around this by using regular ballistic, right? Since the visuals iirc would be the same?

I'm not sure about Racoon's specific implementation, but I have noticed some weird behaviors when spawning standard ballistic rounds via script.

Namely, if you try to spawn ballistic shots in close proximity to a valid target, regardless of those shot's vector they will all immediately create an impact the moment they spawn, damaging the closest point on that ship's hull and removing the shot as per normal.