Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Release When?  (Read 25068 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Release When?
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »

Just a few more hours.  Might actually break my Battlefield V addition when it comes out - nearly a week of playing nothing but that in my free time.  That'll be quite the feat. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2018, 12:32:47 AM »

Christ Almighty, of course I'm going to (likely) be at work when it finally drops. It's a funny life we live. No idea how I'm going to get through my shift; it's going to be like trying to sleep on Christmas Eve as a kid.

Plushie God

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2018, 01:02:26 AM »

Alex and David interacting with the community
-November 2018 (Colorised)
I make terrible SS meme videos on YouTube, support trash like me today

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2018, 02:43:42 AM »

Hi,

Seriously, what is a Release Candidate for ? Why going o RC1, RC2... before going live, instead of staying in "alpha" or something ?

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »

Release candidate means that you prepare a version with all the dev tools and IDE hooks disabled and packaged to an installer.

And so you test through the installation and start it up on several different systems to see if that causes new bugs.

If bugs are found you fix them and do it all over again until you get no more bugs.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »

Think of it like 'Gold' mastering.

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2018, 05:07:54 AM »

Thanks

I think i remember at least one of the previous releases was "RC" labeled. So i guess it means it was good enough for public, but with some shadow parts to be fixed before a more stable release.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:18 AM »

Seriously, what is a Release Candidate for ? Why going o RC1, RC2... before going live, instead of staying in "alpha" or something ?
because the version we'll actually get to play is an alpha version. as has every other version been up to this point. the coming patch is "alpha 0.9a". :P

but between public releases, there are of course maaany incremental changes in versions in the in-dev build, as features and content get added or changed, and problems get fixed.

a release candidate is a still-in-dev build that is potentially ready for public release. it will then get tested for a bit to find out if there are still any last-moment changes and fixes to be made before it is actually ready. the first couple release candidates are virtually guaranteed to still have some issues that should be fixed before making it public, so then another release candidate is made with those fixes in place.
that is repeated until one release candidate really is polished enough, which then gets released to us. :]

the last public release, the one we've been playing for over a year now, was "alpha 0.8.1a-RC8", for example. meaning Alex went through 7 other release candidates right before its release, before he was satisfied with it.

of course, there will still be plenty of (hopefully minor) issues in every actual public release, and a few hotfix patches shortly afterwards that fix most of these. that can't ever be entirely avoided, since having hundreds (if not thousands) of players play through the initial release version will invariably turn up bugs or other problems that weren't found during the devs' own playtesting.

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »

My body is ready

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2018, 09:16:25 AM »

My fleet is ready!

Dominator's fully charged! Mora's on the flanks! Enforcers throughout!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »

Release 30 minutes ago

Gear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »

Eyy early Christmas present, time to search my email for "Starfarer" and find my product code haha.

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »

Installing...

Just communicated to my girlfriend that I will disappear tonight.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »

Nice.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »

Make sure y'all are on the most recent hotfix, which as of this writing is RC8. I have a vague feeling we'll be getting a few more of those tomorrow/day after before we hit on a proper 0.9.1 in a week or two.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]