Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Please add digital signature or enable TLS on download page  (Read 1626 times)

orolyn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Please add digital signature or enable TLS on download page
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »

I was about to buy the alpha, but I had to bail out after seeing that the binary isn't digitally signed. I guess that's a bit of a hassle when doing release candidates so could you please at least add a TLS certificate to the download page and download link so I know where I'm downloading it from.

Thanks

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please add digital signature or enable TLS on download page
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »

Hmm - you can download using SSL if you like, though it's through the rather clunky expedient of of adding an "s" do the alternate download link.

https://www.fractalsoftworks.com/starsector/release/starsector_install-0.8.1a-RC8.exe

(Unless I'm missing something re: what you actually want to do?)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:42:50 AM by Alex »

orolyn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »

Hmm, well it checks out on SSL Checker, that website needs some proper tuning though, even if the page is loaded via SSL sub assets or links to non HTTPS can invalidate the whole page.
Since its not digitally signed though, I'll still need to install it via a VM then move it onto my PC. Does the game need to be on the registry to play and save games etc?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »

(Yeah, I'd like to add proper SSL support but the way wordpress works makes it more than a bit of a pain.)

On windows, the game uses the registry to store the activation key and various config settings. You can still move an install to another PC/VM/etc, though, and it should work just fine, since it doesn't require it to run - just uses it once its running, if it makes sense. What'll happen is if you move it off the VM, it'll ask you for the activation code again, and that's about it.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »

I have to ask, WHY do you need to install this in a VM or have it digitally signed? Are you worried the game is a virus or something?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 01:56:59 AM »

I have to ask, WHY do you need to install this in a VM or have it digitally signed? Are you worried the game is a virus or something?

I suspect it's a lack of trust of the internet, not Fractal Softworks itself; without end to end encryption you're vulnerable to man in the middle attacks.
Whether that's a reasonable fear or not, I don't know; depends how distrustful of governments you are, or how high of a value target you are.