Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing D-class mods  (Read 28506 times)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Removing D-class mods
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

Its been a while since i last played starsector (7.x) and i'm getting back into it. I've seen a couple posts mentioning the expense of removing D-mods and i can't find the ability to do that anywhere. Is that in vanilla or with a mod?
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Removing D-class mods
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »

Starting in 0.8, you can click Restore in the refit screen.  It costs more than what the ship is worth in a market, but depending on your circumstances, it may be the only way to acquire an undamaged ship.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »

I didn't think to look there. Thank you.

Momaw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »

Do people not keep damaged ships in general? I was finding that, in conjunction with the skill that reduces supply costs for damaged ships, I could do just fine. My ships were a bit banged up but I could field my biggest ships on a regular basis because my fleet's overall supply demand was down quite a lot. The only thing I vigorously avoided was damaged engines on frigates (because if your frigates can't move around well, why bring a frigate).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »

Most of the ships in my fleet are clunkers with two or more (D) mods because they are very common and cheap to deploy.  If I restore a ship, it becomes a rare asset that is difficult to replace if lost in combat.  If I lose most (D) ships with common weapons, I do not care and proceed with the game.  If I lose an undamaged ship, that is time for a reload.

As for skills, I do not use any of the Industry skills that make clunkers even cheaper to use.  Best I use is Fleet Logistics in Leadership because that skill is one of the best in the game.  2 is nice for the supply discount, but 3 for +15% max CR to all of your ships is great... and needed to keep up with enemy fleets that have it.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »

I got my hands on a tartarus from shadowyards mod, and i didn't want to commit to a commission yet. The tartarus is like a high tech low profile dominator. It doesn't have much wiggle room for load-outs though. Which is good for balance. it's a beastly tank, but hard to make work if it's got faulty everything.

I mostly use d mod ships too. It's just my favorite ships i wanted to make pristine again.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »

Do people not keep damaged ships in general? I was finding that, in conjunction with the skill that reduces supply costs for damaged ships, I could do just fine. My ships were a bit banged up but I could field my biggest ships on a regular basis because my fleet's overall supply demand was down quite a lot. The only thing I vigorously avoided was damaged engines on frigates (because if your frigates can't move around well, why bring a frigate).
Yeah for me, I collect ships with good D mods as the reductions to supply and maintenance is a big boon
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

I generally do not use ships with too many D mods outside of the very early game.If a recovered ship only has 1 or 2 and they are not awful ones I will probably keep it around, but I will replace it if I can. Carriers are an exception - as long as the engines and flight decks are ok, I'll happily take the supply cost reduction.

Highly efficient fleets match my playstyle nicely and greatly reduce fuel and supply consumption, making every fight more profitable and launching me faster up the exponential growth curve.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »

the kind of drive that compels people to constantly reload in FPS's so they can make sure to always have a full magazine also drives players to strive to make all their ships have no damage, even to their detriment
(I am that player)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »

@ Deshara:  That is why I play with clunker fleet with easily replaceable weapons, so I do not need to reload the moment I lose something, even though I prefer to play with undamaged ships and good weapons.  Without commission, good ships and weapons are too rare, and I have not played games long enough to bother grinding for cores to undo reputation changes caused by commission.  If I restore ships, not only they cost a premium, but they also become a rare asset that I cannot afford to lose.  Thus, I only restore rare ships that I will pilot and need peak stats, such as Hyperion.

bamzooki2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »

One thing I would say is that the restore option should probably be highlighted a bit more when you first get a ship with a D-mod. Frankly I had the same issue finding it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »

One thing I would say is that the restore option should probably be highlighted a bit more when you first get a ship with a D-mod. Frankly I had the same issue finding it.
Could be another hint to show if hints are enabled.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »

Putting it in the tutorial might also be good. After you defeat the pirate fleet and restore the jump points, Hegemony commander gives you a nice pile of cash to restore the junkers you recovered earlier.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »

Putting it in the tutorial might also be good. After you defeat the pirate fleet and restore the jump points, Hegemony commander gives you a nice pile of cash to restore the junkers you recovered earlier.
That would be nice from a gamist perspective, but lousy narrative.  If they had the money to restore the ships, they would have restored them for themselves and have no ship graveyard.  They mentioned that they dumped ships to be disposed of eventually, but let the player take the junk to deal with their unexpected crisis.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »

That would be nice from a gamist perspective, but lousy narrative.  If they had the money to restore the ships, they would have restored them for themselves and have no ship graveyard.  They mentioned that they dumped ships to be disposed of eventually, but let the player take the junk to deal with their unexpected crisis.
Perhaps another "quest" could be added somewhere in the tutorial.  Say, instead of the covert agent at the mining station giving you the raw data directly, he gives the location of a ship (A small, cheap one, like a Lasher or Hound or Mercury), which was captained by someone the Hegemony Commander earlier than you but who wasn't nearly as lucky.  The ship would be heavily battered with several hull-mods and the data would be somehow "irrecoverable" until you take it to the Hegemony planet and restore the junker, allowing the commander to recover the raw data, and starting the player on the probe quest.  Although you'd basically have to move the "ship acquisition" part of the tutorial sooner for that.

There's plenty in-fluff reasons why the Hegemony wouldn't restore the ships even if they had the money to do so.  It might just be cheaper to pump out new ships than refurbish old ones, and since restoring a ship already costs more than buying a brand new one in-game that's probably already the case.  The Hegemony commander states that his forces is tied up defending the planet, and I'd serious doubt an isolated (until post-tutorial) backwater world has the capability to spontaneously enlist/conscript and train sailors for the Hegemony Navy (for which they have to pay salary costs), to man a few run-down DDs and FFs that may not fit in current Hegemony doctrine (for which they have to pay maintenance costs), and pay for any post-fatality costs that may be associated with the lost of ships & crewmen (Do space marines get life insurance?), for what's essentially a few one-day jobs.  Why not stick a privateer with a few junkers you were going to scrap anyways, and let him deal with the long-term crew & hardware logistics for the price of only a small completion bonus?
Pages: [1] 2